Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Aug 27, 2010
      Always Be Good and Do Good

      "Sometimes, people misunderstand karma and ask,
      `If it is someone's karma to go through something,
      why should I do anything to help him or her?' If
      you are satisfied with that point of view, stay
      away. But, if you really want to develop and evolve,
      you should feel like helping others and you should
      sympathize with others' pain. That is a divine
      quality. Even in the case of a drowning person,
      if you don't know how to swim and can't jump in
      to save the person, at least you can shout for some
      help. Every human being is expected to do something
      good. Always do good and be good. By doing good, we
      broaden our outlook and we are elevated by such actions.

      "God bless you. Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi."

      For more by and about Swami Satchidananda:
      http:www.YogaAndPeace.org
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16 4:18 AM

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda