Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Aug 21, 2010
      Expand Your Understanding

      "Understand yourself first. Understand your capacity,
      then you will say, `Well, it is my capacity now; let
      me develop my capacity to understand more.' When a
      razor doesn't shave properly it's because the razor
      is blunt. So what should be done? The razor must be
      sharpened if you want to use it again. In the same
      way, our intellect is blunt, it has its own limitations.
      So, sharpen your intellect. There is no harm in
      wanting to know everything, but if you really want
      to know everything, become fit. Develop the capacity
      to know everything. Then, it will be revealed to you.
      In reality, nothing is hidden from you—it is all an
      open book. Once you expand yourself, then you will
      understand things more and more.

      "God bless you. Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi."

      For more by and about Swami Satchidananda:
      http://www.YogaAndPeace.org
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda