Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 197 , Aug 21, 2010
      Expand Your Understanding

      "Understand yourself first. Understand your capacity,
      then you will say, `Well, it is my capacity now; let
      me develop my capacity to understand more.' When a
      razor doesn't shave properly it's because the razor
      is blunt. So what should be done? The razor must be
      sharpened if you want to use it again. In the same
      way, our intellect is blunt, it has its own limitations.
      So, sharpen your intellect. There is no harm in
      wanting to know everything, but if you really want
      to know everything, become fit. Develop the capacity
      to know everything. Then, it will be revealed to you.
      In reality, nothing is hidden from you—it is all an
      open book. Once you expand yourself, then you will
      understand things more and more.

      "God bless you. Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi."

      For more by and about Swami Satchidananda:
      http://www.YogaAndPeace.org
      Message 197 of 197 , Today at 6:01 AM

        NOTHING LESS THAN THAT

        Just be happy, have fun, enjoy life and don't get caught. When I say, "don't get caught," I am not talking about someone else catching you. I am talking about your own mind. Choose the kind of fun that won't bind you. If a certain kind of fun will bring you unhappiness later on, then it's not fun at all. Our goal is unending joy.

        Sometimes people think that to be a spiritual seeker or a good, religious person means being always very serious. They think that such a person can't have fun, can't laugh. That is no kind of life. Life means being always joyful, always happy, jubilant. Every minute should be a celebration. Every minute should be a festivity. That is possible only if you keep your mind in good shape and don't allow it to get into mischief.

        Be conscious of all your actions. Before you do anything, question yourself: "What am I doing it for? To be happy, to have fun. Okay, will it be fun always or will it only be fun for a little while and then start creating problems? Will anyone be hurt by it? How long can I be happy? Will there be an end? What is the price I have to pay?" After all this analysis, if your answer is, "Yes. I will always be happy. It will never bind or bother me," then go ahead.

        Remember, our intention is to enjoy life, to be happy always-nothing less than that.

        Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi