Does the Past Exist Yet? Evidence Suggests Your Past Isn’t Set in Stone

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 18, 2010
      Does the Past Exist Yet? Evidence Suggests Your Past Isn't Set in Stone
      Br Dr Robert Lanza, MD-
      As Posted in the Huffington Pot 8/18/10
      Recent discoveries require us to rethink
      our understanding of history. "The histories
      of the universe," said renowned physicist Stephen
      Hawking "depend on what is being measured,
      contrary to the usual idea that the universe
      has an objective observer-independent history."

      Is it possible we live and die in a world of
      illusions? Physics tells us that objects exist
      in a suspended state until observed, when they
      collapse in to just one outcome. Paradoxically,
      whether events happened in the past may not be
      determined until sometime in your future -- and
      may even depend on actions that you haven't taken yet.

      In 2002, scientists carried out an amazing
      experiment, which showed that particles of light
      "photons" knew -- in advance −- what their distant
      twins would do in the future. They tested the
      communication between pairs of photons -- whether
      to be either a wave or a particle. Researchers
      stretched the distance one of the photons had
      to take to reach its detector, so that the other
      photon would hit its own detector first. The
      photons taking this path already finished their
      journeys -− they either collapse into a particle
      or don't before their twin encounters a
      scrambling device. Somehow, the particles acted
      on this information before it happened, and
      across distances instantaneously as if there was
      no space or time between them. They decided not
      to become particles before their twin ever
      encounterd the scrambler. It doesn't matter
      how we set up the experiment. Our mind and its
      knowledge is the only thing that determines how
      they behave. Experiments consistently confirm
      these observer-dependent effects.

      More recently (Science 315, 966, 2007), scientists
      in France shot photons into an apparatus, and
      showed that what they did could retroactively
      change something that had already happened. As
      the photons passed a fork in the apparatus, they
      had to decide whether to behave like particles
      or waves when they hit a beam splitter. Later on
      - well after the photons passed the fork - the
      experimenter could randomly switch a second beam
      splitter on and off. It turns out that what the
      observer decided at that point, determined what
      the particle actually did at the fork in the
      past. At that moment, the experimenter chose
      his history.

      Of course, we live in the same world. Particles
      have a range of possible states, and it's not
      until observed that they take on properties. So
      until the present is determined, how can there
      be a past? According to visionary physicist John
      Wheeler (who coined the word "black hole"), "The
      quantum principle shows that there is a sense
      in which what an observer will do in the future
      defines what happens in the past." Part of the
      past is locked in when you observe things and
      the "probability waves collapse." But there's
      still uncertainty, for instance, as to what's
      underneath your feet. If you dig a hole, there's
      a probability you'll find a boulder. Say you
      hit a boulder, the glacial movements of the past
      that account for the rock being in exactly that
      spot will change as described in the Science experiment.

      But what about dinosaur fossils? Fossils are
      really no different than anything else in nature.
      For instance, the carbon atoms in your body are
      "fossils" created in the heart of exploding
      supernova stars. Bottom line: reality begins
      and ends with the observer. "We are participators,"
      Wheeler said "in bringing about something of
      the universe in the distant past." Before his
      death, he stated that when observing light from
      a quasar, we set up a quantum observation on an
      enormously large scale. It means, he said, the
      measurements made on the light now, determines
      the path it took billions of years ago.

      Like the light from Wheeler's quasar, historical
      events such as who killed JFK, might also depend
      on events that haven't occurred yet. There's
      enough uncertainty that it could be one person
      in one set of circumstances, or another person
      in another. Although JFK was assassinated, you
      only possess fragments of information about the
      event. But as you investigate, you collapse
      more and more reality. According to biocentrism,
      space and time are relative to the individual
      observer - we each carry them around like turtles with shells.

      History is a biological phenomenon − it's the logic
      of what you, the animal observer experiences. You
      have multiple possible futures, each with a
      different history like in the Science experiment.
      Consider the JFK example: say two gunmen shot at
      JFK, and there was an equal chance one or the
      other killed him. This would be a situation much
      like the famous Schrödinger's cat experiment, in
      which the cat is both alive and dead − both
      possibilities exist until you open the box and investigate.

      "We must re-think all that we have ever learned
      about the past, human evolution and the nature
      of reality, if we are ever to find our true
      place in the cosmos," says Constance Hilliard,
      a historian of science at UNT. Choices you
      haven't made yet might determine which of your
      childhood friends are still alive, or whether
      your dog got hit by a car yesterday. In fact,
      you might even collapse realities that
      determine whether Noah's Ark sank. "The
      universe," said John Haldane, "is not only
      queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we
      can suppose."

      Biocentrism (BenBella Books) lays out Lanza's theory of everything.
      This article is posted for totally non-commercial purposes and thus is under the Fair Use Statutes
    • Aideen Mckenna
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 18, 2010

        I love this stuff!  It makes my head hurt a little bit.

        Aideen

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 18, 2010
          Can I use it as a defence in court?

[...]

          "photons" knew -- in advance &#8722;- what their distant
          twins would do in the future. They tested the
          communication between pairs of photons -- whether
          to be either a wave or a particle. Researchers
          stretched the distance one of the photons had
          to take to reach its detector, so that the other
          photon would hit its own detector first. The
          photons taking this path already finished their
          journeys -&#8722; they either collapse into a particle
[...]

          History is a biological phenomenon &#8722; it's the logic
          of what you, the animal observer experiences. You
          have multiple possible futures, each with a
          different history like in the Science experiment.
          Consider the JFK example: say two gunmen shot at
          JFK, and there was an equal chance one or the
          other killed him. This would be a situation much
          like the famous Schrödinger's cat experiment, in
          which the cat is both alive and dead &#8722; both