Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 193 , Aug 14, 2010
      Rise Above Duality

      "The world is always a mixture of good and bad.
      You can't see all good without bad, because they
      are both sides of the same coin. If everything is
      good, then life is not worth living here. There's
      no charm, there's no purpose. Both qualities are
      necessary. We have been given free will and the
      discriminative capacity to select what is beneficial
      to us and to avoid that which is detrimental. So the
      concept of good and bad is mainly for human beings;
      it's a sort of testing ground. In that way, we
      develop and we evolve. We develop our capacities,
      we sharpen our intellect and we rise above all that.
      That is the real Yoga, when you rise above the dualities.

      "God bless you. Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi."

      For more by and about Swami Satchidananda:
      www.YogaAndPeace.org.
      Message 193 of 193 , Dec 25, 2014

        Question: I have a growing desire to see God. It has become the thing I want most. But no matter how much I long for Him, my worldly duties and needs get in the way. Can you help me?

        Sri Swami Satchidananda: How do you know that you have not seen Him? I heard Him saying, "I have been in front of this person so many times, but he never even recognized Me. He was calling, calling, calling for Me. So I went there many times, stood right in front of him, and he didn't even bother to look at Me. He just brushed Me aside and kept on saying, 'God, where are You? Where are You?'"

        Before you look for God, you should know what He looks like, or at least what God is. God has no particular form, but He appears in all forms and names. It is with His consciousness that I am saying all these things; and with His consciousness, you are listening. To simplify it, we say that God is all consciousness - superconsciousness, cosmic consciousness - or peace. God is already there in you as peace, but you disturb your peace by searching for God. Stop searching and disturbing your peace, and you will experience God. A disturbed mind can never understand God. Looking for God is not our first and foremost duty. Our first and foremost duty is to take care not to let the mind lose its peace. You don't have to make the mind peaceful. If you leave it alone, it is peaceful. In our own lives we should see that we don't lose our peace due to our thoughts, words, actions.

        Learn to remain undisturbed, unshakeable, as steady as the Rock of Gibraltar. You should treasure the peace of your mind so much that nothing, nothing, nothing would shake you. You should be ready to renounce anything and everything that is going to disturb your peace. Name, fame, money, power, position, relatives, friends - all should be secondary to maintaining your peace. Everything else is nothing compared to peace of mind. With that peace, you will easily see God.

        Om shant. Om shanti. Om shanti.