Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 200 , Aug 14, 2010
      Rise Above Duality

      "The world is always a mixture of good and bad.
      You can't see all good without bad, because they
      are both sides of the same coin. If everything is
      good, then life is not worth living here. There's
      no charm, there's no purpose. Both qualities are
      necessary. We have been given free will and the
      discriminative capacity to select what is beneficial
      to us and to avoid that which is detrimental. So the
      concept of good and bad is mainly for human beings;
      it's a sort of testing ground. In that way, we
      develop and we evolve. We develop our capacities,
      we sharpen our intellect and we rise above all that.
      That is the real Yoga, when you rise above the dualities.

      "God bless you. Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi."

      For more by and about Swami Satchidananda:
      www.YogaAndPeace.org.
      Message 200 of 200 , Feb 9 5:26 PM
        Watch your mind. Watch your breath. Become an observer, which is the key to Jnana Yoga. Don’t worry about particular techniques. Just sit back and observe the breath, mind, and thoughts. Just see what’s happening within you. Become a witness, which is a wonderful form of meditation. Be still and watch what is happening in your mind and in your body. Maybe you have been repeating a mantra or focusing on one object for a time. You may then relax and sit calmly and watch the mind; observe the peaceful vibrations that come. Listen to the silence completely. Observe your own brain. See how peaceful you are. The mind seems to be totally at rest. You might think the mind is almost asleep, yet you are still conscious of the whole thing. The body is resting. The breath has very much slowed. The mind is almost sleeping but you are aware of everything.

        Ask yourself, “Who is aware of them? What is this awareness? Who knows all these things? That is You, the Knower. You are totally different from your body, from your mind. You are the witness—what you call the Self, the pure Self—the witness of the body and mind. If you could maintain this witnessing constantly, still knowing you are the witness all the time, you would reach Self-awareness or

        Self-realization. Keep up this awareness, even in your day-to-day activities. When you are eating, when you are walking, and especially when you are distressed, you can still witness. You will constantly enjoy supreme peace. Through this practice you become the master of your own body and mind. You’ll walk through life like an undisturbed sage.