Question from email

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 12, 2010
      Question from M.B.
      Hello i tried your meditation technique 70) Non-Expression of Negativity and i didnt like it plz tell me how i can stop this cause i really dont like it understood.
      Here's the technique from Meditation Station in question:

      Non-Expression of Negativity (#70)

      One of the hardest "assignments" I give to
      the students in my class is to try to not
      say anything negative for a period of two
      hours on one day of a week, or for a whole
      day, or if they feel strong and brave, for
      a whole week. Invariably, this exercise is
      a tremendous learning experience for everyone
      who tries it. Reports of astonishment at how
      often the urge to comment negatively happens
      habitually are common, as is the feeling of
      embarrassment at one's own behavior and
      frustration at being unable to stop it.
      It's always alot of fun when the class
      reports their experiences. Some common themes
      occur, such as verbalizing negatively every
      time you talk to a teenage son or daughter,
      the impulse to mutter behind their back at
      a co-worker (especially the boss), and the
      compulsive snotty retort to a criticizing parent or in-law.

      Please try this wonderful educational
      meditation. You will witness yourself acting
      in ways that will amaze you. Just by seeing
      your habitual reactivity, you will be on the
      road to changing for the better. You've spent
      amounts of time and squandered enormous
      amounts of energy in negativity. As you will
      learn from observation and objective analysis,
      it is very rare to have improved any situation
      by injecting negativity into it. It is much more
      commonly a stimulus for making things worse.

      By doing this exercise, you will be ready to
      appreciate the wisdom of the concept that before
      every negative action, there are negative words,
      and before the negative words, there are negative
      thoughts. The meditator can interrupt this process
      by witnessing every action, every word, and every
      thought. If you can witness the thought, if it
      arises and you recognize it as negative, you can
      simply not allow uncontrolled negative words to
      occur. If you can't stop it on the level of
      stopping the negative words to come out, at
      least you should recognize when you are verbalizing
      negatively and be able to stop yourself from
      actually acting out negatively.

      Be gentle with yourself when you witness yourself
      being negative. Don't be negative about your
      negativity. Just observe the behavior, say
      "Oh, well", and go back to witnessing. Don't
      allow further inner commentary, comparisons,
      analyzations, or judgements; just witness. Begin
      to let "Oh, well", become a sort of shorthand
      for forgiving and reprimanding yourself and know
      nothing else is necessary and will needlessly
      drain you of energy and peace.

      Just by doing the witnessing, you will be doing
      many positive things. Most importantly, you will
      be at one with your Real Self, because that is
      what, within you, does the witnessing. Any time
      you are at one with your Real Self, you can be
      at one with all your Real Self is at one with
      and that is All Reality, for your Real Self is
      really at one with everyone and everything.
      Ultimately, there is only one Real Self and
      it is within all, everyone, and everything.
      Secondly, the more you witness your negativity,
      the less you will be negative. It's sort of
      like you've been unconsciously stepping on
      your own spiritual toes and once you realize it,
      you cease to do it and ever after cease having
      pain in your foot and tripping and falling on
      your face spiritually. Anyway, you'll definitely
      have a few good laughs at how silly your
      behavior is, when uncontrolled, and start to
      be less and less negative and more and more at
      peace. Eventually, you will live happily ever after.
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 13, 2010
        medit8ionsociety <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Question from M.B.
        > Hello i tried your meditation technique 70) Non-Expression of Negativity and i didnt like it plz tell me how i can stop this cause i really dont like it understood.

        M. B.,
        To end this meditation, perhaps you could simply restart
        Expressing Negativity and then going on with your life.
        Hopefully, whatever you have gained or lost from this
        technique will prove beneficial for you.