Re: [Meditation Society of America] Put It In Perspective

  • Greg Brown
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 18, 2010
      Being compassionate and kind to myself allows me to be kind and compassionate to everyone else, as well as all of the universes that exist! I have studied very deeply into Cosmology and Astrophysics as well as Unification Theory, and I have thought about exactly what you are saying. However, compassion something that must be developed, and I do believe that one can not be truly compassionate to all that exists unless one can be truly compassionate to their self.

      "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats!"

      :Henry Louis Mencken (1880 - 1956).

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 19, 2010
        sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

        > If a man is drowning, does it matter if he knows how many drops of rain are contained in the sea?

        Maybe and maybe not. What "matters" is if the
        drowning is taking his peace away. Realization and
        experience of the Universal Perspective (UP) is
        a platform of stability in any given activity.
        When drowning, even if one's body is paniced
        and going "Down", there is no advantage to losing
        "IT" and in fact, being calm and seeing the big
        picture has a greater potential for getting you back
        in the swim. The point Kir Li Molari was making
        is of course up to interpretation relative to any
        given thing, even drowning, but it reminds me of
        the ancient story of a man going to a Guru and
        asking what to do to get Enlightened. The Guru
        has him go to a river; they both get in and the
        Guru grabs the man and holds his head under
        water. Hes tarts thrashing about desperatly
        trying to get out but is unable to. Finally the
        Guru lets him up and as the man gasps the Guru asks
        him "What were you thinking about when you were
        drowning. The man says "All I could think of was
        how much I want to breath." The Guru replied
        "When you desire God as much as you wanted to
        breath, you will know Enlightenment"

      • cosmic_yogi1
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 19, 2010

          Greg, i greet you with peace and balance.

          As We continue to ' Learn to Un-learn', the thought of compassion being 'something that must be developed' is questionable.  The thought of compassion can be said to be nothing more than an ideal that our limited minds will contrive.  This limitation with a  personal thought creates more barriers for an Absolute Genuine compassion to exist.  As i grasp the concept of the thread, We are infinitely and inextricably tied to a Greater ALL, and to be consumed into our own world of worries, ie...thoughts about what is this or what is that misses the point.

          ONE

          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Greg Brown <browntrout@...> wrote:

          > Being compassionate and kind to myself allows me to be kind and compassionate to everyone else, as well as all of the universes that exist! I have studied very deeply into Cosmology and Astrophysics as well as Unification Theory, and I have thought about exactly what you are saying. However, compassion something that must be developed, and I do believe that one can not be truly compassionate to all that exists unless one can be truly compassionate to their self.
          >

          > "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats!"
          >
          > :Henry Louis Mencken (1880 - 1956).

        • Greg Brown
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 19, 2010
            Exctly! That is why one must equally care for soneself and others at the same time.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 19, 2010
              One,

              Interesting! I will consider your comments think about them. The self-mind is a difficult barrier for me evidently.

              Peace, Greg.

              "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats!"

              :Henry Louis Mencken (1880 - 1956).

              Greg, i greet you with peace and balance.
              As We continue to ' Learn to Un-learn', the thought of compassion being 'something that must be developed' is questionable.  The thought of compassion can be said to be nothing more than an ideal that our limited minds will contrive.  This limitation with a  personal thought creates more barriers for an Absolute Genuine compassion to exist.  As i grasp the concept of the thread, We are infinitely and inextricably tied to a Greater ALL, and to be consumed into our own world of worries, ie...thoughts about what is this or what is that misses the point.

              ONE

              --- In meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, Greg Brown <browntrout@. ..> wrote:

              > Being compassionate and kind to myself allows me to be kind and compassionate to everyone else, as well as all of the universes that exist! I have studied very deeply into Cosmology and Astrophysics as well as Unification Theory, and I have thought about exactly what you are saying. However, compassion something that must be developed, and I do believe that one can not be truly compassionate to all that exists unless one can be truly compassionate to their self.
              >

              > "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats!"
              >
              > :Henry Louis Mencken (1880 - 1956).

            • sean tremblay
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 19, 2010
                right on

                > If a man is drowning, does it matter if he knows how many drops of rain are contained in the sea?

                Maybe and maybe not. What "matters" is if the
                drowning is taking his peace away. Realization and
                experience of the Universal Perspective (UP) is
                a platform of stability in any given activity.
                When drowning, even if one's body is paniced
                and going "Down", there is no advantage to losing
                "IT" and in fact, being calm and seeing the big
                picture has a greater potential for getting you back
                in the swim. The point Kir Li Molari was making
                is of course up to interpretation relative to any
                given thing, even drowning, but it reminds me of
                the ancient story of a man going to a Guru and
                asking what to do to get Enlightened. The Guru
                has him go to a river; they both get in and the
                Guru grabs the man and holds his head under
                water. Hes tarts thrashing about desperatly
                trying to get out but is unable to. Finally the
                Guru lets him up and as the man gasps the Guru asks
                him "What were you thinking about when you were
                drowning. The man says "All I could think of was
                how much I want to breath." The Guru replied
                "When you desire God as much as you wanted to
                breath, you will know Enlightenment"

              • sean tremblay
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 19, 2010
                  Exactly, my point is to the one who suffers his suffering is all that is being experienced at that moment

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 20, 2010
                    There isn't any self, except for imagining.

                    There isn't any other, except for imagining.

                    There isn't any need to add more compassion to reality, except for imagining such to be the case.

                    Simply cease imagining, and what is so, is "so," is - and has never been absent.

                    Has never been missing or missed.

                    Try to define the Real - and immediately you enter into a dream, in which unreality (imagining) becomes seemingly the real, and the real becomes seemingly nonexistent.

                    In the dream there is seeming continuity, and the discontinuity which is the actual, can't be seen, doesn't register. Imaginary things that have reference-points seem to exist, whereas the actual, which refers to nothing and to which nothing refers, seems not to be.

                    In a dream, the self is imagined dealing with barriers, gaining insight, adding compassion, all kinds of other "adventures" ...

                    - Dan -

                    (nnb)

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 1 5:58 PM
                      We are one of 7 billion people that are one
                      of billions of species of living things on Earth.
                      Our planet is one of several circling a medium
                      sized star that is one of hundreds of billions of
                      stars in the Milky Way. Our galaxy is one of hundreds
                      of billions of galaxies in our galactic cluster, and
                      our galactic cluster is one of hundreds of billions
                      of galactic clusters that comprise our universe, which
                      is one of an untold number of universes. So just how
                      important is that problem you're worried about?

                      Kir Li Molari

                      According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the total population
                      of the World, projected to 04/02/12 at 00:56 UTC (EST+5) is

                      7,004,329,727
                    • walto
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 3 10:08 AM

                        > We are one of 7 billion people that are one
                        > of billions of species of living things on Earth.
                        > Our planet is one of several circling a medium
                        > sized star that is one of hundreds of billions of
                        > stars in the Milky Way. Our galaxy is one of hundreds
                        > of billions of galaxies in our galactic cluster, and
                        > our galactic cluster is one of hundreds of billions
                        > of galactic clusters that comprise our universe, which
                        > is one of an untold number of universes. So just how
                        > important is that problem you're worried about?

                        Well, of the millions of neurons that could have fired, and the many trillions (indeed infinite number) of thoughts I might have had, it's the particular stuff that surfaced.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 24, 2012