Re: [Meditation Society of America] Put It In Perspective

  • Greg Brown
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 18, 2010
      Being compassionate and kind to myself allows me to be kind and compassionate to everyone else, as well as all of the universes that exist! I have studied very deeply into Cosmology and Astrophysics as well as Unification Theory, and I have thought about exactly what you are saying. However, compassion something that must be developed, and I do believe that one can not be truly compassionate to all that exists unless one can be truly compassionate to their self.

      "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats!"

      :Henry Louis Mencken (1880 - 1956).

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 19, 2010
        If a man is drowning, does it matter if he knows how many drops of rain are contained in the sea?

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 19, 2010
          sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

          > If a man is drowning, does it matter if he knows how many drops of rain are contained in the sea?

          Maybe and maybe not. What "matters" is if the
          drowning is taking his peace away. Realization and
          experience of the Universal Perspective (UP) is
          a platform of stability in any given activity.
          When drowning, even if one's body is paniced
          and going "Down", there is no advantage to losing
          "IT" and in fact, being calm and seeing the big
          picture has a greater potential for getting you back
          in the swim. The point Kir Li Molari was making
          is of course up to interpretation relative to any
          given thing, even drowning, but it reminds me of
          the ancient story of a man going to a Guru and
          asking what to do to get Enlightened. The Guru
          has him go to a river; they both get in and the
          Guru grabs the man and holds his head under
          water. Hes tarts thrashing about desperatly
          trying to get out but is unable to. Finally the
          Guru lets him up and as the man gasps the Guru asks
          him "What were you thinking about when you were
          drowning. The man says "All I could think of was
          how much I want to breath." The Guru replied
          "When you desire God as much as you wanted to
          breath, you will know Enlightenment"

        • cosmic_yogi1
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 19, 2010

            Greg, i greet you with peace and balance.

            As We continue to ' Learn to Un-learn', the thought of compassion being 'something that must be developed' is questionable.  The thought of compassion can be said to be nothing more than an ideal that our limited minds will contrive.  This limitation with a  personal thought creates more barriers for an Absolute Genuine compassion to exist.  As i grasp the concept of the thread, We are infinitely and inextricably tied to a Greater ALL, and to be consumed into our own world of worries, ie...thoughts about what is this or what is that misses the point.

            ONE

            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Greg Brown <browntrout@...> wrote:

            > Being compassionate and kind to myself allows me to be kind and compassionate to everyone else, as well as all of the universes that exist! I have studied very deeply into Cosmology and Astrophysics as well as Unification Theory, and I have thought about exactly what you are saying. However, compassion something that must be developed, and I do believe that one can not be truly compassionate to all that exists unless one can be truly compassionate to their self.
            >

            > "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats!"
            >
            > :Henry Louis Mencken (1880 - 1956).

          • Greg Brown
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 19, 2010
              Exctly! That is why one must equally care for soneself and others at the same time.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 19, 2010
                One,

                Interesting! I will consider your comments think about them. The self-mind is a difficult barrier for me evidently.

                Peace, Greg.

                "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats!"

                :Henry Louis Mencken (1880 - 1956).

                Greg, i greet you with peace and balance.
                As We continue to ' Learn to Un-learn', the thought of compassion being 'something that must be developed' is questionable.  The thought of compassion can be said to be nothing more than an ideal that our limited minds will contrive.  This limitation with a  personal thought creates more barriers for an Absolute Genuine compassion to exist.  As i grasp the concept of the thread, We are infinitely and inextricably tied to a Greater ALL, and to be consumed into our own world of worries, ie...thoughts about what is this or what is that misses the point.

                ONE

                --- In meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, Greg Brown <browntrout@. ..> wrote:

                > Being compassionate and kind to myself allows me to be kind and compassionate to everyone else, as well as all of the universes that exist! I have studied very deeply into Cosmology and Astrophysics as well as Unification Theory, and I have thought about exactly what you are saying. However, compassion something that must be developed, and I do believe that one can not be truly compassionate to all that exists unless one can be truly compassionate to their self.
                >

                > "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats!"
                >
                > :Henry Louis Mencken (1880 - 1956).

              • sean tremblay
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 19, 2010
                  right on

                  > If a man is drowning, does it matter if he knows how many drops of rain are contained in the sea?

                  Maybe and maybe not. What "matters" is if the
                  drowning is taking his peace away. Realization and
                  experience of the Universal Perspective (UP) is
                  a platform of stability in any given activity.
                  When drowning, even if one's body is paniced
                  and going "Down", there is no advantage to losing
                  "IT" and in fact, being calm and seeing the big
                  picture has a greater potential for getting you back
                  in the swim. The point Kir Li Molari was making
                  is of course up to interpretation relative to any
                  given thing, even drowning, but it reminds me of
                  the ancient story of a man going to a Guru and
                  asking what to do to get Enlightened. The Guru
                  has him go to a river; they both get in and the
                  Guru grabs the man and holds his head under
                  water. Hes tarts thrashing about desperatly
                  trying to get out but is unable to. Finally the
                  Guru lets him up and as the man gasps the Guru asks
                  him "What were you thinking about when you were
                  drowning. The man says "All I could think of was
                  how much I want to breath." The Guru replied
                  "When you desire God as much as you wanted to
                  breath, you will know Enlightenment"

                • sean tremblay
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 19, 2010
                    Exactly, my point is to the one who suffers his suffering is all that is being experienced at that moment

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 20, 2010
                      There isn't any self, except for imagining.

                      There isn't any other, except for imagining.

                      There isn't any need to add more compassion to reality, except for imagining such to be the case.

                      Simply cease imagining, and what is so, is "so," is - and has never been absent.

                      Has never been missing or missed.

                      Try to define the Real - and immediately you enter into a dream, in which unreality (imagining) becomes seemingly the real, and the real becomes seemingly nonexistent.

                      In the dream there is seeming continuity, and the discontinuity which is the actual, can't be seen, doesn't register. Imaginary things that have reference-points seem to exist, whereas the actual, which refers to nothing and to which nothing refers, seems not to be.

                      In a dream, the self is imagined dealing with barriers, gaining insight, adding compassion, all kinds of other "adventures" ...

                      - Dan -

                      (nnb)

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 1, 2012
                        We are one of 7 billion people that are one
                        of billions of species of living things on Earth.
                        Our planet is one of several circling a medium
                        sized star that is one of hundreds of billions of
                        stars in the Milky Way. Our galaxy is one of hundreds
                        of billions of galaxies in our galactic cluster, and
                        our galactic cluster is one of hundreds of billions
                        of galactic clusters that comprise our universe, which
                        is one of an untold number of universes. So just how
                        important is that problem you're worried about?

                        Kir Li Molari

                        According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the total population
                        of the World, projected to 04/02/12 at 00:56 UTC (EST+5) is

                        7,004,329,727
                      • walto
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012

                          > We are one of 7 billion people that are one
                          > of billions of species of living things on Earth.
                          > Our planet is one of several circling a medium
                          > sized star that is one of hundreds of billions of
                          > stars in the Milky Way. Our galaxy is one of hundreds
                          > of billions of galaxies in our galactic cluster, and
                          > our galactic cluster is one of hundreds of billions
                          > of galactic clusters that comprise our universe, which
                          > is one of an untold number of universes. So just how
                          > important is that problem you're worried about?

                          Well, of the millions of neurons that could have fired, and the many trillions (indeed infinite number) of thoughts I might have had, it's the particular stuff that surfaced.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 24, 2012