Put It In Perspective

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 18, 2010
      You are one of 7 billion people that are one of
      billions of species living on Earth. Our planet
      is one of several circling a medium sized star that
      is one of hundreds of billions of stars in the Milky
      Way. Our galaxy is one of hundreds of billions of
      galaxies in our galactic cluster, and our galactic
      cluster is one of billions of galactic clusters
      that comprise our universe, which is one of an untold
      number of universes. So just how important is that problem
      you're worried about?

      Kir Li Molari
    • Greg Brown
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 18, 2010
        Being compassionate and kind to myself allows me to be kind and compassionate to everyone else, as well as all of the universes that exist! I have studied very deeply into Cosmology and Astrophysics as well as Unification Theory, and I have thought about exactly what you are saying. However, compassion something that must be developed, and I do believe that one can not be truly compassionate to all that exists unless one can be truly compassionate to their self.

        "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats!"

        :Henry Louis Mencken (1880 - 1956).

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 19, 2010
          If a man is drowning, does it matter if he knows how many drops of rain are contained in the sea?

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 19, 2010
            sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

            > If a man is drowning, does it matter if he knows how many drops of rain are contained in the sea?

            Maybe and maybe not. What "matters" is if the
            drowning is taking his peace away. Realization and
            experience of the Universal Perspective (UP) is
            a platform of stability in any given activity.
            When drowning, even if one's body is paniced
            and going "Down", there is no advantage to losing
            "IT" and in fact, being calm and seeing the big
            picture has a greater potential for getting you back
            in the swim. The point Kir Li Molari was making
            is of course up to interpretation relative to any
            given thing, even drowning, but it reminds me of
            the ancient story of a man going to a Guru and
            asking what to do to get Enlightened. The Guru
            has him go to a river; they both get in and the
            Guru grabs the man and holds his head under
            water. Hes tarts thrashing about desperatly
            trying to get out but is unable to. Finally the
            Guru lets him up and as the man gasps the Guru asks
            him "What were you thinking about when you were
            drowning. The man says "All I could think of was
            how much I want to breath." The Guru replied
            "When you desire God as much as you wanted to
            breath, you will know Enlightenment"

          • cosmic_yogi1
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 19, 2010

              Greg, i greet you with peace and balance.

              As We continue to ' Learn to Un-learn', the thought of compassion being 'something that must be developed' is questionable.  The thought of compassion can be said to be nothing more than an ideal that our limited minds will contrive.  This limitation with a  personal thought creates more barriers for an Absolute Genuine compassion to exist.  As i grasp the concept of the thread, We are infinitely and inextricably tied to a Greater ALL, and to be consumed into our own world of worries, ie...thoughts about what is this or what is that misses the point.

              ONE

              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Greg Brown <browntrout@...> wrote:

              > Being compassionate and kind to myself allows me to be kind and compassionate to everyone else, as well as all of the universes that exist! I have studied very deeply into Cosmology and Astrophysics as well as Unification Theory, and I have thought about exactly what you are saying. However, compassion something that must be developed, and I do believe that one can not be truly compassionate to all that exists unless one can be truly compassionate to their self.
              >

              > "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats!"
              >
              > :Henry Louis Mencken (1880 - 1956).

            • Greg Brown
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 19, 2010
                Exctly! That is why one must equally care for soneself and others at the same time.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 19, 2010
                  One,

                  Interesting! I will consider your comments think about them. The self-mind is a difficult barrier for me evidently.

                  Peace, Greg.

                  "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats!"

                  :Henry Louis Mencken (1880 - 1956).

                  Greg, i greet you with peace and balance.
                  As We continue to ' Learn to Un-learn', the thought of compassion being 'something that must be developed' is questionable.  The thought of compassion can be said to be nothing more than an ideal that our limited minds will contrive.  This limitation with a  personal thought creates more barriers for an Absolute Genuine compassion to exist.  As i grasp the concept of the thread, We are infinitely and inextricably tied to a Greater ALL, and to be consumed into our own world of worries, ie...thoughts about what is this or what is that misses the point.

                  ONE

                  --- In meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, Greg Brown <browntrout@. ..> wrote:

                  > Being compassionate and kind to myself allows me to be kind and compassionate to everyone else, as well as all of the universes that exist! I have studied very deeply into Cosmology and Astrophysics as well as Unification Theory, and I have thought about exactly what you are saying. However, compassion something that must be developed, and I do believe that one can not be truly compassionate to all that exists unless one can be truly compassionate to their self.
                  >

                  > "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats!"
                  >
                  > :Henry Louis Mencken (1880 - 1956).

                • sean tremblay
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 19, 2010
                    right on

                    > If a man is drowning, does it matter if he knows how many drops of rain are contained in the sea?

                    Maybe and maybe not. What "matters" is if the
                    drowning is taking his peace away. Realization and
                    experience of the Universal Perspective (UP) is
                    a platform of stability in any given activity.
                    When drowning, even if one's body is paniced
                    and going "Down", there is no advantage to losing
                    "IT" and in fact, being calm and seeing the big
                    picture has a greater potential for getting you back
                    in the swim. The point Kir Li Molari was making
                    is of course up to interpretation relative to any
                    given thing, even drowning, but it reminds me of
                    the ancient story of a man going to a Guru and
                    asking what to do to get Enlightened. The Guru
                    has him go to a river; they both get in and the
                    Guru grabs the man and holds his head under
                    water. Hes tarts thrashing about desperatly
                    trying to get out but is unable to. Finally the
                    Guru lets him up and as the man gasps the Guru asks
                    him "What were you thinking about when you were
                    drowning. The man says "All I could think of was
                    how much I want to breath." The Guru replied
                    "When you desire God as much as you wanted to
                    breath, you will know Enlightenment"

                  • sean tremblay
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 19, 2010
                      Exactly, my point is to the one who suffers his suffering is all that is being experienced at that moment

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 20, 2010
                        There isn't any self, except for imagining.

                        There isn't any other, except for imagining.

                        There isn't any need to add more compassion to reality, except for imagining such to be the case.

                        Simply cease imagining, and what is so, is "so," is - and has never been absent.

                        Has never been missing or missed.

                        Try to define the Real - and immediately you enter into a dream, in which unreality (imagining) becomes seemingly the real, and the real becomes seemingly nonexistent.

                        In the dream there is seeming continuity, and the discontinuity which is the actual, can't be seen, doesn't register. Imaginary things that have reference-points seem to exist, whereas the actual, which refers to nothing and to which nothing refers, seems not to be.

                        In a dream, the self is imagined dealing with barriers, gaining insight, adding compassion, all kinds of other "adventures" ...

                        - Dan -

                        (nnb)

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 1, 2012
                          We are one of 7 billion people that are one
                          of billions of species of living things on Earth.
                          Our planet is one of several circling a medium
                          sized star that is one of hundreds of billions of
                          stars in the Milky Way. Our galaxy is one of hundreds
                          of billions of galaxies in our galactic cluster, and
                          our galactic cluster is one of hundreds of billions
                          of galactic clusters that comprise our universe, which
                          is one of an untold number of universes. So just how
                          important is that problem you're worried about?

                          Kir Li Molari

                          According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the total population
                          of the World, projected to 04/02/12 at 00:56 UTC (EST+5) is

                          7,004,329,727
                        • walto
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012

                            > We are one of 7 billion people that are one
                            > of billions of species of living things on Earth.
                            > Our planet is one of several circling a medium
                            > sized star that is one of hundreds of billions of
                            > stars in the Milky Way. Our galaxy is one of hundreds
                            > of billions of galaxies in our galactic cluster, and
                            > our galactic cluster is one of hundreds of billions
                            > of galactic clusters that comprise our universe, which
                            > is one of an untold number of universes. So just how
                            > important is that problem you're worried about?

                            Well, of the millions of neurons that could have fired, and the many trillions (indeed infinite number) of thoughts I might have had, it's the particular stuff that surfaced.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 24, 2012