Re: [Meditation Society of America] Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

  • Greg Brown
    Message 1 of 193 , Jul 16, 2010
      Sean,

      I see! Thanks for the reply again! Yes, I love that quote too. Peace, out, Greg.

      "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats!"

      :Henry Louis Mencken (1880 - 1956).

      It's a Hatha Yoga system, I don't know much more about it exept my wife teaches it
      Love the quote BTW

      From: medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroup s.com>
      To: meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Friday, July 9, 2010, 11:20 PM

      Anyone Can Practice Yoga

      "You need not think, `I have all these bad
      habits—smoking, drinking, eating meat—so I
      am unfit for practicing Yoga.' Even with all
      these habits, if you start Yoga, you can
      slowly get out of the unhealthy habits.
      Sometimes people ask me, `Should I stop
      smoking, should I stop drinking before I
      come to practice Yoga?' I say, `No, it is
      not necessary.' If I say, `Yes, you must
      stop before you come to Yoga,' it's like a
      doctor asking you to get rid of all your
      diseases before you take the medicine. So
      nobody is disqualified from Yoga practice.
      The great scripture of Yoga, Hatha Yoga
      Pradipika, says, `Be one young, old, sick
      or very sick, if one practices Yoga, one
      will become healthy and happy.'

      For more by and about Swami Satchidananda:
      http://www.YogaAndP eace.org

      Message 193 of 193 , Dec 25, 2014

        Question: I have a growing desire to see God. It has become the thing I want most. But no matter how much I long for Him, my worldly duties and needs get in the way. Can you help me?

        Sri Swami Satchidananda: How do you know that you have not seen Him? I heard Him saying, "I have been in front of this person so many times, but he never even recognized Me. He was calling, calling, calling for Me. So I went there many times, stood right in front of him, and he didn't even bother to look at Me. He just brushed Me aside and kept on saying, 'God, where are You? Where are You?'"

        Before you look for God, you should know what He looks like, or at least what God is. God has no particular form, but He appears in all forms and names. It is with His consciousness that I am saying all these things; and with His consciousness, you are listening. To simplify it, we say that God is all consciousness - superconsciousness, cosmic consciousness - or peace. God is already there in you as peace, but you disturb your peace by searching for God. Stop searching and disturbing your peace, and you will experience God. A disturbed mind can never understand God. Looking for God is not our first and foremost duty. Our first and foremost duty is to take care not to let the mind lose its peace. You don't have to make the mind peaceful. If you leave it alone, it is peaceful. In our own lives we should see that we don't lose our peace due to our thoughts, words, actions.

        Learn to remain undisturbed, unshakeable, as steady as the Rock of Gibraltar. You should treasure the peace of your mind so much that nothing, nothing, nothing would shake you. You should be ready to renounce anything and everything that is going to disturb your peace. Name, fame, money, power, position, relatives, friends - all should be secondary to maintaining your peace. Everything else is nothing compared to peace of mind. With that peace, you will easily see God.

        Om shant. Om shanti. Om shanti.