Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 182 , Jul 9, 2010
      Anyone Can Practice Yoga

      "You need not think, `I have all these bad
      habits—smoking, drinking, eating meat—so I
      am unfit for practicing Yoga.' Even with all
      these habits, if you start Yoga, you can
      slowly get out of the unhealthy habits.
      Sometimes people ask me, `Should I stop
      smoking, should I stop drinking before I
      come to practice Yoga?' I say, `No, it is
      not necessary.' If I say, `Yes, you must
      stop before you come to Yoga,' it's like a
      doctor asking you to get rid of all your
      diseases before you take the medicine. So
      nobody is disqualified from Yoga practice.
      The great scripture of Yoga, Hatha Yoga
      Pradipika, says, `Be one young, old, sick
      or very sick, if one practices Yoga, one
      will become healthy and happy.'

      For more by and about Swami Satchidananda:
      http://www.YogaAndPeace.org
      Message 182 of 182 , Mar 30

        The best way to clean your system is to use sound. Simply choose any holy name you like, and keep repeating it. Let your body vibrate with that frequency. In the beginning you have to concentrate on that vibration within you. But, as you continue, every cell in your body will begin to repeat your mantram or your prayer; then the whole system, the whole personality, body, mind, everything will vibrate on that wavelength. The holy word is like a radio wave.

        When a mantram is given to you, you tune your personality to a particular frequency. It's just like tuning a radio. The cosmic music that comes from God is always being transmitted. God never stops transmitting all the beautiful things. Some simply don't tune their heart radios to the proper frequency. Instead, they tune it to the wrong frequency and get atmospheric disturbance.

        With practice, you'll be able to tune your heart radio. You will become a good receiver. Only then is the proper communication possible. Communication brings communion. Real communion is possible only when you tune your entire personality to God's frequency.

        Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi