Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 200 , Jul 9 8:20 PM
      Anyone Can Practice Yoga

      "You need not think, `I have all these bad
      habits—smoking, drinking, eating meat—so I
      am unfit for practicing Yoga.' Even with all
      these habits, if you start Yoga, you can
      slowly get out of the unhealthy habits.
      Sometimes people ask me, `Should I stop
      smoking, should I stop drinking before I
      come to practice Yoga?' I say, `No, it is
      not necessary.' If I say, `Yes, you must
      stop before you come to Yoga,' it's like a
      doctor asking you to get rid of all your
      diseases before you take the medicine. So
      nobody is disqualified from Yoga practice.
      The great scripture of Yoga, Hatha Yoga
      Pradipika, says, `Be one young, old, sick
      or very sick, if one practices Yoga, one
      will become healthy and happy.'

      For more by and about Swami Satchidananda:
      http://www.YogaAndPeace.org
      Message 200 of 200 , Feb 9, 2016
        Watch your mind. Watch your breath. Become an observer, which is the key to Jnana Yoga. Don’t worry about particular techniques. Just sit back and observe the breath, mind, and thoughts. Just see what’s happening within you. Become a witness, which is a wonderful form of meditation. Be still and watch what is happening in your mind and in your body. Maybe you have been repeating a mantra or focusing on one object for a time. You may then relax and sit calmly and watch the mind; observe the peaceful vibrations that come. Listen to the silence completely. Observe your own brain. See how peaceful you are. The mind seems to be totally at rest. You might think the mind is almost asleep, yet you are still conscious of the whole thing. The body is resting. The breath has very much slowed. The mind is almost sleeping but you are aware of everything.

        Ask yourself, “Who is aware of them? What is this awareness? Who knows all these things? That is You, the Knower. You are totally different from your body, from your mind. You are the witness—what you call the Self, the pure Self—the witness of the body and mind. If you could maintain this witnessing constantly, still knowing you are the witness all the time, you would reach Self-awareness or

        Self-realization. Keep up this awareness, even in your day-to-day activities. When you are eating, when you are walking, and especially when you are distressed, you can still witness. You will constantly enjoy supreme peace. Through this practice you become the master of your own body and mind. You’ll walk through life like an undisturbed sage.