The Wisdom of Adi Shankara

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2010
      Adi Shankara is the source of much of the
      Advaita Vedanta teachings. Enjoy!
      From "Vivek Chudamani":

      124. Now I will instruct you in the true nature
      of your supreme self, by understanding which a
      man is freed from his bonds and achieves final
      fulfillment.

      125. There is something your own, unchanging,
      the "I", the substratum, the basis, which is the
      triple observer, distinct from the five sheaths.

      126. The awareness that knows everything whether
      waking, dreaming or in deed sleep, and whether or
      not there is movement in the mind, that is the "I".

      127. It is that which experiences everything, but
      which nothing else can experience, which thinks
      through the intelligence etc., but which nothing
      else can think.

      128. It is that by which all this is filled, but

      which nothing else can fill, and which, in shining,
      makes all this shines as well.

      129. It is that whose mere presence makes the body,
      bodily senses, and mind etc. keep to their appropriate
      functions like servants.

      130. It is that by which everything from the ego
      function down to the body is known like an earthen
      vessel, for its very nature is everlasting consciousness.

      131. This is one's inmost nature, the eternal
      Person, whose very essence is unbroken awareness
      of happiness, who is ever unchanging and pure
      consciousness, and in obedience to whom the various
      bodily function continue.

      132. In one of pure nature, the morning light
      of the Unmanifest shines even here in the cave of
      the mind, illuminating all this with its glory,
      like the sun up there in space.

      133. That which knows the thinking mind and ego
      functions takes its form from the body with its
      senses and other functions, like fire does in a
      ball of iron, but it neither acts nor changes in any way.

      134. It is never born, never dies, grows,
      decays, or changes. Even when the body is destroyed
      it does not cease to be, like the space in an
      earthen vessel.

      135. The true self, of the nature of pure
      consciousness, and separate from the productions
      of nature, illuminates all this, real and unreal,
      without itself changing. It plays in the states of
      waking and so on, as the foundation sense of
      'I exist', as the awareness, witness of all experience.