RE: [Meditation Society of America] Evolution of Meditation

  • Aideen Mckenna
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 9, 2010

      Thank you.  That’s helpful.  A.

      From: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com [mailto: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of WestWindWood
      Sent: June-09-10 1:04 PM
      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [Meditation Society of America ] Evolution of Meditation

      P.S. The example I gave was refraining from a certain action, which is usually the case; however, sometimes I would get an answer back of a specific proactive action I was to undertake. It is my experience that the proactive action is something that occurs after one has done years of meditaiton.

      From: Aideen Mckenna <aideenmck@telus. net>
      To: meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Tuesday, June 8, 2010, 7:08 PM

      Could you give an example of a change in behaviour that affects the personality?  Not necessarily an example from your own life, because I don’t wish to pry, but one that you think typifies the sort of thing you mean?  Would that behaviour change more likely be one of refraining from certain actions or would it usually be a positive, intentional act?

      Thanks.  Aideen

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 9, 2010
        I have also used meditation to change behavior, or at least to get back to my true self when the slings and arrows of life have led me astray, But I am reminded of a quote to the contrary by Musashi the great swordsman, he stated in the book of five rings that he did not practice Zen to make him a better person but simply to make himself a better swordsman!
          From all historical accounts he was both a superior swordsman and an unbearable asshole.

[...]

      • WestWindWood
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 10, 2010
          It is possible to use meditation to go off on power trips. I have read of that in meditation books. The thought is that eventually a person burns themselves out.

          I have also used meditation to change behavior, or at least to get back to my true self when the slings and arrows of life have led me astray, But I am reminded of a quote to the contrary by Musashi the great swordsman, he stated in the book of five rings that he did not practice Zen to make him a better person but simply to make himself a better swordsman!
            From all historical accounts he was both a superior swordsman and an unbearable asshole.