Re: A pantomime play of phantoms

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2010
      Thanks Sandeep for sharing the amazing work of
      Dr Ramachandran. A series of his lectures is on line at:
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/reith2003/lecturer.shtml
      I also found his book available at ABE.com from a UK
      book supplier for $10 including shipping at:
      http://tinyurl.com/2gxejvz
      I'm looking forward to the read very much as the info
      you've shared seemingly has stimulated trillions of connections
      in my brain that seem to want to know more.

      sandeep chatterjee <sandeep1960@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > illusion to erase another doesn’t see very surprising after all.”
      >

      > (Aka
      > using a thorn to pluck out another embedded one, the oft repeated
      > hoopla-to-do
      > in spiritual circles.)
      >

      > ….
      >

      > “The
      > experiments
      > I’ve discussed so far have helped us to understand what is going on in
      > the
      > brains of patients with phantoms and given us hints as to how we might
      > alleviate their pain. But there is a
      > deeper message here: YOUR OWN BODY is a phantom, one that your brain has
      > temporarily
      > constructed for convenience.
      >

      > I know this
      > sounds astonishing  so I will demonstrate
      > to you the malleability of your own body image and how you can alter it
      > profoundly
      > in just a few seconds. Two of these experiments you can do on your
      > yourself
      > right now but the third requires a visit to a Halloween supply shop.”
      >

      > ……..
      >

      > “Now just
      > think
      > about what all this means. For your entire life, you’ve been walking
      > around
      > assuming that your “self” is anchored to a single body that remains
      > stable,
      > assuming your ‘self” is anchored to a single body that remains stable
      > and
      > permanent at least until death.
      >

      > Indeed the
      > “loyalty”
      > of your self to your body is so axiomatic that you never even pause to
      > think
      > about it, let alone question,
      >

      >  Yet these
      > experiments suggest the exact opposite-that your body image, despite all
      > it’s appearances
      > of durability, is an entirely transitory internal construct that can be
      > profoundly
      > modified with just few simple tricks. It is merely a shell that you’ve
      > temporarily created for successfully passing on your genes to your
      > offspring.
      >

      >  -------------------------------
      >

      > The
      > brain creating a phantom, a temporarily  convenient
      > construct……..
      > useful for whatever is needed to be physio-biologically played
      > out.
      >

      > Why
      > not go back a further step?
      >

      > The
      > very construct of a brain……….itself once again a phantom………
      >

      > ……a
      > temporarily convenient construct, useful to generate more phantoms……
      >

      > ….needed
      > for a pantomime play of phantoms to get played out…
      >

      > …..in
      > order to display how such a play could be ……….if such a play could have

    • Aideen Mckenna
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2010

        The book’s in my city library & I plan to request it.  Thanks for telling us about it, Sandeep!  And thanks to Bob for the link to Dr. Ramachandran’s lectures.