A pantomime play of phantoms

  • sandeep chatterjee
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2010

      Hiya,

      V.S. Ramachandran is one of the world’s leading neuroscientist, Director of the Centre of Brain and Cognition, University of California, San Diego and Professor at the Salk Institute, La Jolla, USA.

      I am reading his book  “Phantoms in the Brain”……….where in narrating his work in the area of phantom limbs(i.e. the person still feels that his limb is attached even after a physical amputation and not just attached, the person feels he can move, experience excruciating pain etc in that phantom limb)……..VSR is exposing the functioning of the brain and the architecture of the mind.

      Evidently  through the trillion of synaptic gaps in the brain, each of which in turn possesses thousand of neuro-transmitting chemicals, each chemical in-the-synapse interacts  with each of the other trillion chemical in-the-synapse ……..to produce particular “brain states” in the moment.

       Interestingly VSR states that neuro-science has established that the number of possible  “brain states” exceeds the total number of elementary particles making up the Universe!!

      Some excerpts……which are very interesting, if one is interested to see where the field of science is heading.

      “The implications are radical.(the implications are about a number of experiments which VSR has conducted and narrated here).

      Even fleeting sensory associations  such as clenching our hands and digging  our fingernails into our palms are laid down as permanent traces in the brain and are only unmasked under certain circumstances-experienced in this case as phantom limb pain.

      This implies that pain is an opinion on the organism’s state of health rather than mere reflexive response to an injury.”

        …

      “If pain is an illusion, how much influence do senses like vision have over our subjective experiences?

      To find out……”

      …..

      After detailing a number of experimental results VSR states…

      It seems extraordinary even to contemplate the possibility that you could use a visual illusion to eliminate pain but bear in mind that pain itself is an illusion, constructed entirely in your brain like any other sensory experience.

      Using one illusion to erase another doesn’t see very surprising after all.”

      (Aka using a thorn to pluck out another embedded one, the oft repeated hoopla-to-do in spiritual circles.)

      ….

      “The experiments I’ve discussed so far have helped us to understand what is going on in the brains of patients with phantoms and given us hints as to how we might alleviate their pain. But there is a deeper message here: YOUR OWN BODY is a phantom, one that your brain has temporarily constructed for convenience.

      I know this sounds astonishing  so I will demonstrate to you the malleability of your own body image and how you can alter it profoundly in just a few seconds. Two of these experiments you can do on your yourself right now but the third requires a visit to a Halloween supply shop.”

      ……..

      “Now just think about what all this means. For your entire life, you’ve been walking around assuming that your “self” is anchored to a single body that remains stable, assuming your ‘self” is anchored to a single body that remains stable and permanent at least until death.

      Indeed the “loyalty” of your self to your body is so axiomatic that you never even pause to think about it, let alone question,

       Yet these experiments suggest the exact opposite-that your body image, despite all it’s appearances of durability, is an entirely transitory internal construct that can be profoundly modified with just few simple tricks. It is merely a shell that you’ve temporarily created for successfully passing on your genes to your offspring.

       -------------------------------

      The brain creating a phantom, a temporarily  convenient construct…….. useful for whatever is needed to be physio-biologically played out.

      Why not go back a further step?

      The very construct of a brain……….itself once again a phantom………

      ……a temporarily convenient construct, useful to generate more phantoms……

      ….needed for a pantomime play of phantoms to get played out…

      …..in order to display how such a play could be ……….if such a play could have been.

      A very enjoyable book( until now).
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2010
        Thanks Sandeep for sharing the amazing work of
        Dr Ramachandran. A series of his lectures is on line at:
        http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/reith2003/lecturer.shtml
        I also found his book available at ABE.com from a UK
        book supplier for $10 including shipping at:
        http://tinyurl.com/2gxejvz
        I'm looking forward to the read very much as the info
        you've shared seemingly has stimulated trillions of connections
        in my brain that seem to want to know more.

        sandeep chatterjee <sandeep1960@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > temporarily created for successfully passing on your genes to your
        > offspring.
        >

        >  -------------------------------
        >

        > The
        > brain creating a phantom, a temporarily  convenient
        > construct……..
        > useful for whatever is needed to be physio-biologically played
        > out.
        >

        > Why
        > not go back a further step?
        >

        > The
        > very construct of a brain……….itself once again a phantom………
        >

        > ……a
        > temporarily convenient construct, useful to generate more phantoms……
        >

        > ….needed
        > for a pantomime play of phantoms to get played out…
        >

        > …..in
        > order to display how such a play could be ……….if such a play could have

      • Aideen Mckenna
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 9, 2010

          The book’s in my city library & I plan to request it.  Thanks for telling us about it, Sandeep!  And thanks to Bob for the link to Dr. Ramachandran’s lectures.