108 – An Easy Hard Meditation Technique

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2010
      At the request of a former student at several
      series of our classes, we are posting this
      unique technique. It can also be found on our web site.
      Enjoy!

      108 – An Easy Hard Meditation Technique

      Anything in life that brings you closer to inner
      peace can be said to be "good". Anything that
      takes your peace away is "bad". Of course, it is
      a given that anything that only brings you
      momentary peace, like drugs, is not "good".
      To really qualify, the peace must be everlasting.
      Very often, good, and thus peace, doesn't come
      easily. For instance, politically and historically,
      it has often taken a war to bring about a lasting
      peace between enemies. An example of this can be
      found in the relationships between America, Japan,
      Russia, and Germany. Deadly enemies during World
      War II, and now close partners involved in mutual
      progress and at peace.

      Within ourselves there is a similar inner world
      war-like interaction going on between the mind,
      body, and emotions that prevents us from knowing
      real peace. As the events in our life take place,
      we react mentally, physically, and emotionally,
      sometimes more one way and at other times more
      in another. This slave-like reactivity makes our
      life seem out of control, bouncing back and forth
      between joy and sorrow, and without lasting peace.
      This anxiety and conflict filled state can be
      witnessed by an inner awareness that is our Real
      Self. This Witness to our life has always been
      there/here, silent, non-labeling, non-commenting,
      non-judging, and is present now. As you are reading
      these words, your Witness is aware of your mind's
      mentations, your body's sensations, and your
      emotion's feelings. If your inner chattering stops
      rambling on, you can sit back in your mind's eye
      and Witness your body/ego's reactions. It is at a
      moment when this occurs that what has been called
      your higher intuitive center kicks in and you will
      know, with a gut feeling, just what to do. You will
      then be able to witness your mind, body, and emotions
      act, and either cease the reactivity that has taken
      away your peace, or start to do that which will
      bring about peace in your life. For instance, you
      may have been banging your head against the wall for
      years, even though this caused you to suffer terribly.
      Your friends may have told you countless times that
      your life would be more peaceful if you would just
      stop doing this foolish activity. But, you never
      listened, or perhaps justified it as worth continuing
      with for some silly and illogical reason such as that
      it felt so good when you stopped. Witness yourself
      now. Did you just see yourself laugh, or react in a
      "Yep! That's me!" embarrassment? Did your mind get
      angry and defensive and deny that this concept could
      not apply to you? Are you witnessing now? And now?

      Just as it is unlikely that you would continue to
      keep banging your head against the wall once you
      really recognized that you were doing it, once you
      witness yourself reacting to life's events inappropriately
      (in a way that steals your peace away from you), you
      will stop doing it and thus allow peace to fill and
      stay with you. The 108 Meditation technique is one
      of the best at letting you witness your mind's activity.

      Relax yourself in the way you have found best
      prepares you for meditating. Focus your attention
      on your breath. Observe and feel air come into the
      body, stay, and leave the body. Silently say "One".
      Do it again and say "two". On and on up to 108. This
      seems to be very easy to do, but don't be surprised,
      when you first try this inner exercise, if you can't
      concentrate well enough to get all the way up to
      108 without being distracted by your thoughts,
      physical sensations, or emotions. Your mind has
      been your master and you have been it's slave your
      whole life, and it's not going to let you be in charge
      without giving you a very hard battle for control.
      Your mind has caused you to fritter away your most
      of your life rehashing the past and fantasizing about
      the future and will rebel if you try to live and
      control your life as it takes place.

      Your breath always occurs in the present moment.
      Thus, if you are paying attention to your breath,
      you have the potential of experiencing reality, for
      it too can only occur now, in the present. Inner
      peace is not something for the past or the future.
      It is available and present now. We just must stop
      being distracted from it. When we do this technique,
      and we watch our mind take us away from the object
      of our meditation, our breath, we must not scold
      ourselves. If we see that we are concentrating very
      well, we must not get too overjoyed. Both extremes
      are distractions. What is especially wonderful about
      this technique is that you can become aware of what
      causes your distraction as well as what happens as
      a result of your distraction. For instance, you may
      find that if you try to do this with your eyes open,
      something may catch your eye and you will start
      thinking about it. But, this is not necessarily
      "bad" because you may then have learned that it is
      easier to do this technique with your eyes shut and
      that this does bring more peace into your life. So,
      in a way, you may gain greater insight from "failing"
      at maintaining your concentration than from
      paying attention.

      Another benefit that this method gives us is that
      we can gauge our progress over time. For instance,
      when you first try it, you may only get up to the
      number 12 before your mind's chattering, or your
      body's twitching, or your emotion's swings distract
      you. Then, perhaps a week later, you may find that
      you are able to maintain your attention up to 48.
      A 400% improvement!

      Eventually, you will be able to silently witness
      your mind obediently accomplishing the task you
      have assigned it and you will get to 108 successfully.
      It will be then that you can be considered the
      master, and your mind, body, and emotions, the slaves.
      They then can be used as valuable tools that will
      help you attain the consistent inner peace that
      you have been seeking. Easily!

      Perhaps the greatest asset this technique offers
      is that you will become more and more aware of,
      and start identifying with, the Witness within –
      the pure, blissful, serene consciousness that is
      your Real Self. You will then need no tools,
      techniques, or concepts, and will live happily ever after.
    • eveneon
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2010
        Hi Bob! I have recently started to meditate again after a several year break while I've been settling into motherhood, and this is the technique that I chose to start with. Meditation used to come fairly easily for me. Now, not so much. The 108 technique was like an old friend. I was grateful to have remembered it, to help me begin my practice again.
        Warmly,
        Eve Hoyt

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7, 2010
          Yo Eve,
          How good and pleasant to hear/read from you!
          It seems like old time month as I've recently
          heard from several others who were at our classes.
          Let's catch up. My email is:
          medit8@...
          I have a Facebook site but virtually never look at
          it and don't really know what to do with it. I think
          it's great that you are meditating again, but I doubt
          that you ever really stopped. Practicing a
          specific method in a defined and regular way doesn't
          really define a meditation practice. Virtually
          anything you do with your attention in the present
          probably more accurately demonstrates a meditative
          mode. And Mother/Fatherhood and its almost neverending
          necessity of being aware in the "Now" is potentially
          one of the very best techniques for spititual/meditative
          evolution. And with the years of prep work you put
          in, I'm sure your meditative attitude is flowing very
          freely and effectively (brought peace) for your family
          and for you and everyone who you've been dealing with.
          Hope to hear/read from you soon!