Alan Watts on Meditation

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2010
      "We could say that meditation doesn't have a
      reason or doesn't have a purpose. In this respect
      it's unlike almost all other things we do except
      perhaps making music and dancing. When we make
      music we don't do it in order to reach a certain
      point, such as the end of the composition. If
      that were the purpose of music then obviously the
      fastest players would be the best. Also, when we
      are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a
      particular place on the floor as in a journey.
      When we dance, the journey itself is the point,
      as when we play music the playing itself is the
      point. And exactly the same thing is true in
      meditation. Meditation is the discovery that
      the point of life is always arrived at in the
      immediate moment."
      This site contains copyrighted material the
      use of which has not always been specifically
      authorized by the copyright owner. We are
      making such material available in our efforts
      to advance understanding of environmental,
      scientific, spiritual, and social justice issues,
      etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use'
      for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
      the material on this site is distributed
      without profit to those who have expressed a
      prior interest in receiving the included information
      for research and educational purposes. For more
      information go to:
      site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use',
      you must obtain permission from the copyright owner