Re: Happiness May Come With Age, Study Says

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2010
      I've so much enjoyed the recent posts that have
      dealt with the mind-body connection (and I am
      also including Sri Danji's ones as well), that
      when I read this article I thought it may have
      significance relative to the practice of meditation
      and the mind-body-emotional growth that occurs
      over time if our life is seen as an ongoing process of
      evolution in consciousness. We spend so much time
      learning things that at first require us to be aware
      and practice, and then we eventually can do them so
      effectively and functionally that we become able to
      do them with virtually no attention at all. Think
      about how we learned to drive and how focused we
      were at first on paying attention to the road and
      what we were doing, and then became so good at it that
      we can and do daydream or text and the driving just
      happens. Then, after many years, as we age, we realize
      that we're not quite as sharp as we once were and we
      start focusing our attention more often while driving.
      This realization can be conscious or unconscious, but
      is common. Just as seniors realize they aren't as strong
      or agile and can't see or hear as well as they once did,
      they will compensate by avoiding behaviors that they
      once did without thinking. So, I surmise that from some
      age, perhaps 50 as the article points to, the accumulated
      meditations that have happened in life by "doing meditation"
      or have occurred spontaneously, we go through a similar
      process and evolve in consciousness in a way that, like
      meditation, brings us greater peace, happiness, and
      being in the moment awareness/attention.

      There is a saying that goes something like :
      "One moment of anger negates the benefits of 1000 hours
      of meditation." Perhaps there is an analogous
      one that could be stated as:
      "50 years of life has the potential to start to bring the
      equivalent of 1000 hours of the benefits of meditation".
      And for us that "do meditation", perhaps the greater
      happiness found in old age will happen sooner than later.

      medit8ionsociety <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > then sharply drops off. Anger decreases steadily
      > from 18 on, and sadness rises to a peak at 50,
      > declines to 73, then rises slightly again to 85.
      > Enjoyment and happiness have similar curves: they
      > both decrease gradually until we hit 50, rise steadily
      > for the next 25 years, and then decline very slightly
      > at the end, but they never again reach the low point
      > of our early 50s.
      >
      > Other experts were impressed with the work. Andrew J. Oswald,
      > a professor of psychology at Warwick Business School
      > in England, who has published several studies on
      > human happiness, called the findings important and,
      > in some ways, heartening. "It's a very encouraging
      > fact that we can expect to be happier in our early 80s
      > than we were in our 20s," he said. "And it's not
      > being driven predominantly by things that happen in
      > life. It's something very deep and quite human that
      > seems to be driving this."
      >
      > Dr. Stone, who is a professor of psychology at the
      > State University of New York at Stony Brook, said
      > that the findings raised questions that needed more
      > study. "These results say there are distinctive
      > patterns here," he said, "and it's worth some research
      > effort to try to figure out what's going on. Why at
      > age 50 does something seem to start to change?"
      >
      > The study was not designed to figure out which factors
      > make people happy, and the poll's health questions
      > were not specific enough to draw any conclusions
      > about the effect of disease or disability on happiness
      > in old age. But the researchers did look at four
      > possibilities: the sex of the interviewee, whether
      > the person had a partner, whether there were children
      > at home and employment status. "These are four
      > reasonable candidates," Dr. Stone said, "but they
      > don't make much difference."
      >
      > For people under 50 who may sometimes feel gloomy,
      > there may be consolation here. The view seems a
      > bit bleak right now, but look at the bright side:
      > you are getting old.
      > FAIR USE NOTICE
      > This site contains copyrighted material the
      > use of which has not always been specifically
      > authorized by the copyright owner. We are
      > making such material available in our efforts
      > to advance understanding of environmental,
      > political, human rights, economic, democracy,
      > scientific, spiritual, and social justice issues,
      > etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use'
      > of any such copyrighted material as provided
      > for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
      > In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107,
      > the material on this site is distributed
      > without profit to those who have expressed a
      > prior interest in receiving the included information
      > for research and educational purposes. For more
      > information go to:
      > http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.
      > If you wish to use copyrighted material from this
      > site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use',
      > you must obtain permission from the copyright owner

    • dan330033
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2010

        > I've so much enjoyed the recent posts that have
        > dealt with the mind-body connection (and I am
        > also including Sri Danji's ones as well), that
        > when I read this article I thought it may have
        > significance relative to the practice of meditation
        > and the mind-body-emotional growth that occurs
        > over time if our life is seen as an ongoing process of
        > evolution in consciousness. We spend so much time
        > learning things that at first require us to be aware
        > and practice, and then we eventually can do them so
        > effectively and functionally that we become able to
        > do them with virtually no attention at all. Think
        > about how we learned to drive and how focused we
        > were at first on paying attention to the road and
        > what we were doing, and then became so good at it that
        > we can and do daydream or text and the driving just
        > happens. Then, after many years, as we age, we realize
        > that we're not quite as sharp as we once were and we
        > start focusing our attention more often while driving.
        > This realization can be conscious or unconscious, but
        > is common. Just as seniors realize they aren't as strong
        > or agile and can't see or hear as well as they once did,
        > they will compensate by avoiding behaviors that they
        > once did without thinking. So, I surmise that from some
        > age, perhaps 50 as the article points to, the accumulated
        > meditations that have happened in life by "doing meditation"
        > or have occurred spontaneously, we go through a similar
        > process and evolve in consciousness in a way that, like
        > meditation, brings us greater peace, happiness, and
        > being in the moment awareness/attention.

        Hi Bob -

        What you say rings true.

        True, for example of art, where a painter will practice endlessly to get to a point where art happens spontaneously through the artist. The practice and the art happening aren't two, but might seem divided in terms of a process occurring over time. True also of martial arts, writing, music, or many other skills/expressions.

        Also, it is possible that rather than a person deciding to do meditation to get a result, that meditation starts to happen spontaneously through that person's life.

        Unexpected, not premeditated, and not for a goal.

        I guess you could say that the goal is goal-less, that is, the "goal" simply is the "is" of being and the awareness that is being: this which is so, which is present or present-ness, and the meditation includes mind-body but isn't aimed at the mind-body (as to achieve some goal in it, through it, or for it).

        But just the being present, as it is, can't help but include the mind-body without division, and include mind-body-being aware.

        The body will relax, the mind will open, awareness is clear, bodily sensing is clear, breathing tends to slow and deepen - this is only natural to absorption in/as being.

        Nothing to do, nowhere to get to, nothing to have to plan (i.e., no plan such as "I will get to be more present later, as I get better at doing this.")

        And thus, not state dependent. Not a matter of getting to some state, or keeping some state going. Because always only "present," choicelessly so.

        Certainly practice can be an aspect of how this manifests over time, just as you've suggested, although it might turn out that the seeming intention to practice later turns out not to have involved an individual making choices for personal benefit, but just an expression of impersonal being.

        - D -