Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Repair

  • WestWindWood
    Message 1 of 15 , May 26, 2010

      You need to do a little basic trouble shooting. See if you have a spark. Take an old spark plug, put the plug wire on it, tie the plug to metal, give the engine a spin and see if you get a spark across the electrode. Be careful if a bike has a magneto, as the spark can be strong enough to be fatal. Battery powered spark just makes you jump real good. I no spark, check points for pitting. Pitting is usually caused by poor electrical connections, usually where the points are. Also check for oil foiling. Does the plug have a black oily deposit on the electrode? If there is a good spark, then check for water in the gas, fuel flow from the tank, plugged float valve if there is no fuel filter on the bike. Smell at the exhaust and see if there is the odor of gasoline. There is also the possibility of a seized piston from lack of oil. That can be expensive because of bearing damage and weakened pistons for excess heat with sudden breakage. About meditation, maybe you can do that while you push your bike to the nearest service station.

      From: sandeep chatterjee <sandeep1960@ yahoo.com>
      To: meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Wednesday, May 26, 2010, 12:37 AM

      Hi Katrina,

      Greetings and welcome.

      As you were getting dumped with all guidance(s), felt like giving you a respite by not adding to the pile.

      You know newbies on such Lists is always fresh meat for the salivating "been there-done-that" old geysers.:-)

      This response from you however is salivating.

      Few two cents in -between as below.

      Message 2 of 15 , May 26, 2010
        Thanks

[...]

        -------
        Any reason why to move at all away from this start, aka where you are, as you are?
        --------

        Since I am a researcher and my research involves meditation directly I am exposed to hundreds of studies, books, journal articles, etc., everyday. I know why meditation works, I know how meditation works, and I know what areas of the brain are stimulated through meditation.
        -------

        Yes.
        All the ingredients which make up this flourishing industry.
        --------

        I've read several Dalai Lama books, Thich Nhat Hanh, Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche, and other respected teachers. I've written a 150 page dissertation on the subject…

        ---------

        And yet....
        :-)
        -------

        ----------

        ------------

[...]

        .

      • WestWindWood
        Message 3 of 15 , May 26, 2010

          When first starting meditation, the problem is not knowing what is going on with your mind. If you have access to an EEG, that can tell you; however, there are other simpler ways to know what your mind is doing. Of course the mind is incredibly complex, but for the purpose of learning meditation, lets put enlightenment aside for the moment and first divide the mind into an intellectual part and emotional part. The first step is finding something to concentrate on that the intellectual mind cannot do anything with so that the intellectual mind becomes quiescent. The first time this happened to me was at a Native American sun dance listening to the chanting and drumming. It was a very powerful experience, but I did not know what was happening so I lost a chance to explore further. I thought it was somewhat like a hypnosis experience I had previously, but without the direct experience of another’s direct input of suggestion. Using an EEG, it would be interesting to check on the differences. I suppose you could try hypnosis with a post hypnotic suggestion that you can attain self-hypnosis by some signal of your own. The second time experiencing quiescence was a few years later listening to the wind in the oak trees at my grandmother’s home. This time I knew what I was looking for. I recognized the experience of my intellectual mind not being there. This can be checked by trying to add numbers in your head (no need for an EEG machine), and if you cannot, then the intellectual mind is not there. Quiescence of the intellect can be obtained by a number of methods like watching the breath, a mantra, chanting in a group, watching a clock pendulum, a candle… take your choice of anything that takes your fancy and experiment. Without the intellect jumping around with various analyses, you will be left with your feelings. For instance, if you have noticed that you are uneasy, anxious, but cannot discern the cause; now offer that feeling up and you will be surprised at the cause, what ever it is, but will recognize the response back from your emotional part of the mind as the true source. It will just feel right. However, you can do the exercise again a month later and find you still have exactly the same issue, you just forgot about it. This will be frustrating, like how can I resolve the issue? It’s beyond you. The next step is enlightenment. There are two approaches. The first is to offer up the problem in a devotional way, the will of the Universe be done, let go of your cravings and accept what comes. The second is making the mind blank of the emotional stuff that is welling up, a willingness to accept whatever is and to work towards your betterment. A point to remember is that if the intellect is not involved, the answer will always be consistent and also that the answer will not harm others. Enlightenment can be elusive, but keep trying. Once you discover enlightenment you can work out your problems. This takes maybe two decades, but you will be calmer and happier; and it will be all you can do for each day, and not too much unless you choose a forceful yoga like Kundalini.

          Message 4 of 15 , May 28, 2010
            All,

            I want to thank you for all your words of guidance. It has taken me a while to sort through them all and I will most likely read them over several times.

            Aideen,

            I liked your response in the sense that I agree there is a certain level of anxiety when you know perhaps "too much"? and focus purely on the technique and not the journey.

            I wonder if the best route is to seek a teacher with an open mind and see if that works. If not, perhaps at a later time. Or perhaps the real answer is the truncated form of that...just keep an open mind!

            Thanks to all,

            Katrina