Re: Dalai Lama NY Times Op-Ed Today

  • dan330033
    Message 1 of 5 , May 25, 2010
      With all these religions valuing and promoting compassion and caring, it's surprising all the killing, manipulation, war, deception, greed, stealing, and power games one sees in the world.

      Or is it?

      Somehow, religion gets co-opted into the fray time and time again - used to support nationalism, mistrust, notions of superiority, and entitlement to take control of resources belonging to others.

      This has been true of every major religion.

      Perhaps it is the nature of the human being to invent institutions that will preach compassion, and then use that same institution, when needed, to promote the opposite.

      Perhaps this is how the human being operates, depending on situations and context - able to be warm and caring in one situation, ruthless and cold in another. And in each case, able to pull out the teachers and teachings to support the actions taken (against or for the other).

      Until there is no other, and no separated self.

      Until there truly is peace.

      And compassion not used to emulate an ideal, or to follow a teaching - but compassion that flows naturally from being aware that the other isn't an other - is not at a distance from the self that views the other.

      When and as there is no division between self and other, compassion won't have to be preached, nor used as an ideal attempted to be instilled.

      - Dan -

      (nothing new below)

> [...]
      > thread among all the major faiths. And these days
      > we need to highlight what unifies us.
      >
      > Take Judaism, for instance. I first visited a
      > synagogue in Cochin, India, in 1965, and have met
      > with many rabbis over the years. I remember vividly
      > the rabbi in the Netherlands who told me about the
      > Holocaust with such intensity that we were both in
      > tears. And I've learned how the Talmud and the Bible
      > repeat the theme of compassion, as in the passage in
      > Leviticus that admonishes, "Love your neighbor as yourself."
      >
      > In my many encounters with Hindu scholars in India,
      > I've come to see the centrality of selfless compassion
      > in Hinduism too — as expressed, for instance, in the
      > Bhagavad Gita, which praises those who "delight in
      > the welfare of all beings." I'm moved by the ways this
      > value has been expressed in the life of great beings
      > like Mahatma Gandhi, or the lesser-known Baba Amte,
      > who founded a leper colony not far from a Tibetan
      > settlement in Maharashtra State in India. There he
      > fed and sheltered lepers who were otherwise shunned.
      > When I received my Nobel Peace Prize, I made a donation
      > to his colony.
      >
      > Compassion is equally important in Islam — and
      > recognizing that has become crucial in the years
      > since Sept. 11, especially in answering those who
      > paint Islam as a militant faith. On the first
      > anniversary of 9/11, I spoke at the National Cathedral
      > in Washington, pleading that we not blindly follow
      > the lead of some in the news media and let the violent
      > acts of a few individuals define an entire religion.
      >
      > Let me tell you about the Islam I know. Tibet has
      > had an Islamic community for around 400 years,
      > although my richest contacts with Islam have been
      > in India, which has the world's second-largest Muslim
      > population. An imam in Ladakh once told me that a
      > true Muslim should love and respect all of Allah's
      > creatures. And in my understanding, Islam enshrines
      > compassion as a core spiritual principle, reflected
      > in the very name of God, the "Compassionate and
      > Merciful," that appears at the beginning of virtually
      > each chapter of the Koran.
      >
      > Finding common ground among faiths can help us
      > bridge needless divides at a time when unified action
      > is more crucial than ever. As a species, we must
      > embrace the oneness of humanity as we face global
      > issues like pandemics, economic crises and ecological
      > disaster. At that scale, our response must be as one.
      >
      > Harmony among the major faiths has become an essential
      > ingredient of peaceful coexistence in our world.
      > From this perspective, mutual understanding among
      > these traditions is not merely the business of
      > religious believers — it matters for the welfare
      > of humanity as a whole.
      >

      > Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama, is the author,
      > most recently, of "Toward a True Kinship of Faiths:
      > How the World's Religions Can Come Together."
      > As this article is not being used for commercial purposes
      > of any kind, its use falls under the Fair Use statutes.

    • sean tremblay
      Message 2 of 5 , May 25, 2010
        Dan great words from the Dali Lama
         but man that topic can get me going for DAYS!
        One of my first impressions of the Afghans was, they are a soft spoken people, never say an unkind word, they are hospitable,and generous, they love to laugh.  They are also very affectionate, faithful and religious. They also smoke tons of Dope!
        It's a wonder there is any violence there at all!
        On the flip side a cross word can end in a knife fight! a knife fight can end in an inter tribal feud that can go on for generations, it was my experience that it was from tribal feuds that the divisions between government and Taliban were drawn with each side aligning with a group that they thought best gave them the advantage in the fight.  But like the internal struggle of inner violence many of us face, they too can end there fighting by simply not fighting, just letting go!

        Message 3 of 5 , May 26, 2010
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

          > Dan great words from the Dali Lama
          >  but man that topic can get me going for DAYS!
          > One of my first impressions of the Afghans was, they are a soft spoken people, never say an unkind word, they are hospitable,and generous, they love to laugh.  They are also very affectionate, faithful and religious. They also smoke tons of Dope!
          > It's a wonder there is any violence there at all!
          > On the flip side a cross word can end in a knife fight! a knife fight can end in an inter tribal feud that can go on for generations, it was my experience that it was from tribal feuds that the divisions between government and Taliban were drawn with each side aligning with a group that they thought best gave them the advantage in the fight.  But like the internal struggle of inner violence many of us face, they too can end there fighting by simply not fighting, just letting go!

          Hi Sean -

          Yes, good points. Thanks for your sharing about the Afghans.

          The inner struggle isn't separate from the outer struggle, because there is no inner separated from an outer.

          It is the struggle of the identified vs. the identified, on the battlefield that has been identified.

          Until none is identified.

          Such that inner and outer aren't divided.

          Such that there is nothing out there to identify as, and nothing in here to do any identifying.

          - Dan -
        • sean tremblay
          Message 4 of 5 , May 26, 2010
            Right on