Meditation Methods – Foundations of Reality

    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2010
      Meditation Methods – Foundations of Reality

      There is a difference and a sameness between 2
      of the forms of Yoga that deal with meditation.
      Most meditators use Raja Yoga Methods, and what
      is said to be 1 in 1,000 use Jnana Yoga. In Raja
      Yoga we often see an evolution methodology described
      and prescribed, and in Jnana Yoga a dissolution.

      In one, Raja Yoga, which is often called the
      Yoga of Meditation, the first step is Concentration.
      You first concentrate on "something" with so much
      focus that your attention flows into the second phase
      called Meditation without any effort. The meditation
      then gets deeper and the "something" reveals It-Self
      to you and then you flow into the final stage called
      Contemplation. Here you have identified your Self
      so much with the "something" that you recognize It
      as Your Self. One leaves the dualistic concept of
      "I'm here and apart from the rest of the universe"
      and brings one to recognition of what can be said to
      be a view that knows "I'm a part of and at one with
      the universe".And eventually or suddenly the meditator
      lives identified with this perception, knowledge and
      experience as the foundation of their life ever after.

      Another form of meditation is called Jnana Yoga.
      This is often called the Yoga of Wisdom. Here the idea
      is to have the mind put aside all thoughts, emotions,
      and physical impressions that bring a deluded
      misidentification with who they really are when
      they say "I am", and remain focused in what is
      Reality. As this is ultimately infinite and unchangeable
      and our mind, emotions, and bodies are finite and
      ever-changing, only our consistent awareness (sometimes
      called our Pure Consciousness) can be the vehicle
      we focus with and place our attention on. One
      meditation method of Jnana Yoga is called "Neti-neti",
      which means "not this, not this." Here whenever
      a thought, feeling, or sensation that doesn't focus
      on the eternal and unchangeable floats by the inner
      screen of the mind, the meditator says "neti-neti",
      considers it as only a distraction, and lets it float
      away with no further attachment. Being persistent and
      un-distractible in this practice more and more firmly
      establishes the meditator in the light of their Real
      Self/Reality. And eventually or suddenly the meditator