Peace Meal

  • sean
    Message 1 of 5 , May 22, 2010
      I am working with a local UU Minister on hosting an event I call Peace Meal. I came up with the idea back in Afghanistan, where I found most of my most usefull or lasting work was done over a shared meal, the Afghans are big on hospitality and it was on more than one occasion that I found myself share the table/carpet with warlords, Talibs, and tribal bad asses. But during meals we could share humor, concerns for our families, and address safety and security issues. When you eat with the enemy it forces you to see them as a fellow human being and I won't say we solved everything but I believe these encounters reduced violence, these encounters were often accompanied by heated arguments but as a result, wheat seed was distributed and schools were established. I decided to use food as a tool in conflict resolution, the plan is to invite spiritual leaders from there respective communities to share a meal and discuss global issues, we are inviting Priests, Imams, Mullahs, Rabbi's Ministers and Grand Poobahs of all stripes to sit and discuss ways of addressing global conflict within there communities and to hopefully dispel any misconceptions we have about one another. The menu will feature cuisine from Afghanistan, Iraq, Israel/Palestine and the Horn of Africa.
      If the concept is a success I plan on using the same format for conflict resolution in local communities and other topics of controversy, with the menu to be tailored to the event, with ever participant free to discuss whatever they feel like in a family table setting rather than a lecture format.
      I'll keep Y'all posted
    • Aideen Mckenna
      Message 2 of 5 , May 22, 2010

        YES!!

[...]

      • tarah513
        Message 3 of 5 , May 22, 2010

          This sounds wonderful.

          By any chance, did you ever run into Greg Mortenson (who authored Three Cups of Tea)?

          I read Three Cups of Tea. What a book. I highly recommend all to read it. It certainly puts a different perspective on Afghanistan. Greg was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for all the work he has done in building schools in Afghanistan. Unfortunately, he did not get the prize as it went to President Barack Obama.

          Faithe

          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "sean" <bethjams9@...> wrote:

          > I am working with a local UU Minister on hosting an event I call Peace Meal. I came up with the idea back in Afghanistan, where I found most of my most usefull or lasting work was done over a shared meal, the Afghans are big on hospitality and it was on more than one occasion that I found myself share the table/carpet with warlords, Talibs, and tribal bad asses. But during meals we could share humor, concerns for our families, and address safety and security issues. When you eat with the enemy it forces you to see them as a fellow human being and I won't say we solved everything but I believe these encounters reduced violence, these encounters were often accompanied by heated arguments but as a result, wheat seed was distributed and schools were established. I decided to use food as a tool in conflict resolution, the plan is to invite spiritual leaders from there respective communities to share a meal and discuss global issues, we are inviting Priests, Imams, Mullahs, Rabbi's Ministers and Grand Poobahs of all stripes to sit and discuss ways of addressing global conflict within there communities and to hopefully dispel any misconceptions we have about one another. The menu will feature cuisine from Afghanistan, Iraq, Israel/Palestine and the Horn of Africa.
          > If the concept is a success I plan on using the same format for conflict resolution in local communities and other topics of controversy, with the menu to be tailored to the event, with ever participant free to discuss whatever they feel like in a family table setting rather than a lecture format.
          > I'll keep Y'all posted

        • sean tremblay
          Message 4 of 5 , May 23, 2010
            I never met Greg but I red his book, it was being passed around when I was training state side for the mission.  He has a new on out, I have it on my shelf but I have not read it yet.  3 cups of tea is a good look at the Taliban years in Afghanistan, it also shows how much the Taliban has changed.

            By any chance, did you ever run into Greg Mortenson (who authored Three Cups of Tea)?

            I read Three Cups of Tea. What a book. I highly recommend all to read it. It certainly puts a different perspective on Afghanistan. Greg was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for all the work he has done in building schools in Afghanistan. Unfortunately, he did not get the prize as it went to President Barack Obama.

            Faithe

            --- In meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "sean" <bethjams9@.. .> wrote:

            > I am working with a local UU Minister on hosting an event I call Peace Meal. I came up with the idea back in Afghanistan, where I found most of my most usefull or lasting work was done over a shared meal, the Afghans are big on hospitality and it was on more than one occasion that I found myself share the table/carpet with warlords, Talibs, and tribal bad asses. But during meals we could share humor, concerns for our families, and address safety and security issues. When you eat with the enemy it forces you to see them as a fellow human being and I won't say we solved everything but I believe these encounters reduced violence, these encounters were often accompanied by heated arguments but as a result, wheat seed was distributed and schools were established. I decided to use food as a tool in conflict resolution, the plan is to invite spiritual leaders from there respective communities to share a meal and discuss global issues, we are inviting Priests, Imams, Mullahs, Rabbi's Ministers and Grand Poobahs of all stripes to sit and discuss ways of addressing global conflict within there communities and to hopefully dispel any misconceptions we have about one another. The menu will feature cuisine from Afghanistan, Iraq, Israel/Palestine and the Horn of Africa.
            > If the concept is a success I plan on using the same format for conflict resolution in local communities and other topics of controversy, with the menu to be tailored to the event, with ever participant free to discuss whatever they feel like in a family table setting rather than a lecture format.
            > I'll keep Y'all posted

          • sandeep chatterjee
            Message 5 of 5 , May 23, 2010

              And read the second one titled "Stones to School".