Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Swami Sivananda on signs of spiritual evolution

  • sean tremblay
    Message 1 of 40 , May 20, 2010
      Hi Faithe,
        This is Sean here and I read somewhere in this chapter something about killing and SE Asia, that happens to be something I know something about.  But this is how it relates to the Ego and being un-attached.  many on this sight come from a buddhist or hindu outlook I use christian terminology mostly because I'm familiar with it but the use of metaphor and symbol is not important.  I had to chucle at some of your coments because when I first joined I was constantly taking people to task on thier comments, I had a prove it sucka attitude to just about everything, I think I even remember saying "Blah blah blah insert sancrit and it makes you right"
      But back to the ego thing.....Non attachment to me does not mean withdrawing from life, but experiencing life in a whole new way, or taking shit as it is and not what you want it to be.  Like kids do.  I like to refer to the story of the garden of Eden when we had no knowlege of good and evil we just were, LIVING and Being without the burdon(toil) of judgement, a state of life wherte do don't cling to things.  Sometimes stuff sucks but it passes if you let it.  The day goes on the sun rises in the morning and the bad shit fades also it is imperminent unless you live it over and over again in your thoughts and feelings...That is attachment.  I bake a cake do I worry about the cake being gone someday, no I just enjoy the cake for what it is at this moment.  So I supose attachement works two ways.  Oh yea back to Killing in SE Asia,  I was there last year on a working vacation, and there was plenty of killing going on, I had become detached from my old ego and developed a new one! I became a person needed for a specific job.  I was a mentor to the Afghan National Police and I lived and worked and fought in the rural villages of southern Afghanistan.  I bagan to feel a part of it I forgot who I was as time went on I started to go kinda native, I was consulted at tribal shuras I was becoming something else, I was obseesed with my work, I often went days without sleeping there was to much to do, pople to feed and defend, lives to watch over and injustice to fight, the contrst of peace and chaos violence and hospitality became normal to me I earned a new name! when It was time to leave I became depressed my old ego had been obliterated, and my new one was no longer usefull.  My work I felt was not over how could it be people were still suffering!
      When I came home nobody knew the new ego they expected the old one that had left, but he was gone.  For months I clung to my Afghan persona, and I played back in my head every thought word and deed.  I began to question myself did I do the right things say the right things because one has to tread carefully around others our actions have an effect nd they are rooted in our thoughts and feelings!  I was attached to Afghanistan and a person who I thought I had become, I was attached to the shock of comming home and to the feelings of self pity and dought.  It was the worst example of killing the ego, if you just hap hazardly destroy your sense of self something will fill that void and you may not like it!
      The point is things happen and they move through us good and bad and they all paas non stay, un-attachment is simply moving with instead of against ie, not swimming up stream.
      Sorry I have been rambling ...long night at work!
      Khoda Hafez
      Sean

      Message 40 of 40 , May 24, 2010
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "tarah513" <faithearden@...> wrote:

        > Words (sound or written) indeed are vibrations, but are not "just
        > vibrations". They are one of the methods used to communicate that to
        > which one is attached.

        D: Unless one is not attached.

        > It is a tool that has been developed and used
        > (not always successfully, I might add).

        D: Yes, words develop, as does thought.

        > On peace, well, we certainly don't have it here, so I am guessing it is
        > no where - "as it is above, so it is below".

        D: It depends on what you mean by "peace." If "peace" is taken as undivided being aware, then peace is directly clear. If "peace" is taken as all people on the earth not harming each other, not manipulating, not stealing, not deceiving, not assaulting, etc. - then clearly one does not observe peace as what is occuring in the world.

        Being aware above as below, there is no division, and no outside or inside - call this by whatever name seems to fit the conversation of the moment, such as being, awareness, peace, love, or like the Taoists "the uncarved block."

        Doesn't matter very much what you call it -.

        At heart, there is no name for this - just the being of it.

        - Dan -