RE: [Meditation Society of America] What happens to the ego?

  • sean tremblay
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15, 2010
      Yes! thank you
      As Jeff pointed out any cocept can be driven to the extreme, In my opinion extreme Non Duality fosters apathy wich is the opposit of compasion

      From: Papajeff <jeff@mindgoal. com>
      To: meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Saturday, May 15, 2010, 8:29 AM

      Warning: This video contains
      graphic dualistic language
      that may be disturbing to some
      strict nondual philosophers.

      http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=dy0W1UBcf_ E

      I have yet to meet anybody who truly operates in a non dualist manner, To stress the point offer a non dualist the choice of a hot fudge sunday or a punch in the mouth, they would probably choose the sunday, if they do not then they probably need therapy from a licensed professional because there is a diagnosis for that.

      Message 2 of 4 , May 16, 2010
        sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

        > I have yet to meet anybody who truly operates in a non dualist manner, To stress the point offer a non dualist the choice of a hot fudge sunday or a punch in the mouth, they would probably choose the sunday, if they do not then they probably need therapy from a licensed professional because there is a diagnosis for that.

        snip

        Swami Krishnananda, a senior disciple of Swami Sivananda
        had this to say as part of answering a question about
        the aim of life:

        Swamiji: What should be the aim of your life? Tell me.

        Visitor: You should see to your own qualities, your
        own intelligence and…

        Swamiji: You should not look to your own quality.
        You have to look to the various stages of life.
        I mentioned to you the various stages of the
        development of thought. You go gradually from
        the lower to the higher. You are not looking at
        any particular thing - neither to yourself, nor
        to society, nor to the world, nor even to God
        Himself - but you have to look to all things at
        the same time, in different gradations or ascents,
        and you must know where you stand. You should
        not jump too high by thinking that you are on a
        higher level when you are actually on a lower.
        Generally we suffer and come in conflict on account
        of our theoretical imagining that we are on a
        higher level while practically we are on a lower
        one. That is called worry, mental tension, etc.
        Tension is the problem that is created by a
        theoretical future and a practical present.
        [laughs] So you should be very wise. You should
        not try to soar to the sky very quickly. When
        your feet are planted on earth, you must know that
        they are on the earth; you should not think you
        are in heaven.

        People say, "Oh! I am concerned only with
        God, spirituality and yoga." That is not true.
        This kind of statement will not work; and, it
        is not a fact. The fact is that you are in the
        world. When the wind blows, you feel cold; you
        have hunger, you have thirst, sleep... And there
        are many other considerations. So you must
        eschew the idea that you are thinking only
        of God. One must be realistic. Though the aim
        should be to transcend these lower limitations,
        you cannot ignore their presence when they are there.