RE: [Meditation Society of America] What happens to the ego?

  • Aideen Mckenna
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15, 2010

      At a retreat led by Ajahn Thanissaro, I heard him say “If I needed to have one leg amputated (the diseased one), I’d prefer that the surgeon be a dualist.”

      From: Papajeff <jeff@mindgoal. com>
      To: meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Saturday, May 15, 2010, 8:29 AM

      Warning: This video contains
      graphic dualistic language
      that may be disturbing to some
      strict nondual philosophers.

      http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=dy0W1UBcf_ E

    • sean tremblay
      Message 2 of 4 , May 15, 2010
        Yes! thank you
        As Jeff pointed out any cocept can be driven to the extreme, In my opinion extreme Non Duality fosters apathy wich is the opposit of compasion

        Message 3 of 4 , May 16, 2010
          sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

          > I have yet to meet anybody who truly operates in a non dualist manner, To stress the point offer a non dualist the choice of a hot fudge sunday or a punch in the mouth, they would probably choose the sunday, if they do not then they probably need therapy from a licensed professional because there is a diagnosis for that.

          snip

          Swami Krishnananda, a senior disciple of Swami Sivananda
          had this to say as part of answering a question about
          the aim of life:

          Swamiji: What should be the aim of your life? Tell me.

          Visitor: You should see to your own qualities, your
          own intelligence and…

          Swamiji: You should not look to your own quality.
          You have to look to the various stages of life.
          I mentioned to you the various stages of the
          development of thought. You go gradually from
          the lower to the higher. You are not looking at
          any particular thing - neither to yourself, nor
          to society, nor to the world, nor even to God
          Himself - but you have to look to all things at
          the same time, in different gradations or ascents,
          and you must know where you stand. You should
          not jump too high by thinking that you are on a
          higher level when you are actually on a lower.
          Generally we suffer and come in conflict on account
          of our theoretical imagining that we are on a
          higher level while practically we are on a lower
          one. That is called worry, mental tension, etc.
          Tension is the problem that is created by a
          theoretical future and a practical present.
          [laughs] So you should be very wise. You should
          not try to soar to the sky very quickly. When
          your feet are planted on earth, you must know that
          they are on the earth; you should not think you
          are in heaven.

          People say, "Oh! I am concerned only with
          God, spirituality and yoga." That is not true.
          This kind of statement will not work; and, it
          is not a fact. The fact is that you are in the
          world. When the wind blows, you feel cold; you
          have hunger, you have thirst, sleep... And there
          are many other considerations. So you must
          eschew the idea that you are thinking only
          of God. One must be realistic. Though the aim
          should be to transcend these lower limitations,
          you cannot ignore their presence when they are there.