Re: [Meditation Society of America] What happens to the ego?

  • sean tremblay
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15, 2010
      I have yet to meet anybody who truly operates in a non dualist manner, To stress the point offer a non dualist the choice of a hot fudge sunday or a punch in the mouth, they would probably choose the sunday, if they do not then they probably need therapy from a licensed professional because there is a diagnosis for that.

      Message 2 of 4 , May 15, 2010

        At a retreat led by Ajahn Thanissaro, I heard him say “If I needed to have one leg amputated (the diseased one), I’d prefer that the surgeon be a dualist.”

        Message 3 of 4 , May 15, 2010
          Yes! thank you
          As Jeff pointed out any cocept can be driven to the extreme, In my opinion extreme Non Duality fosters apathy wich is the opposit of compasion

          Message 4 of 4 , May 16, 2010
            sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

            > I have yet to meet anybody who truly operates in a non dualist manner, To stress the point offer a non dualist the choice of a hot fudge sunday or a punch in the mouth, they would probably choose the sunday, if they do not then they probably need therapy from a licensed professional because there is a diagnosis for that.

            snip

            Swami Krishnananda, a senior disciple of Swami Sivananda
            had this to say as part of answering a question about
            the aim of life:

            Swamiji: What should be the aim of your life? Tell me.

            Visitor: You should see to your own qualities, your
            own intelligence and…

            Swamiji: You should not look to your own quality.
            You have to look to the various stages of life.
            I mentioned to you the various stages of the
            development of thought. You go gradually from
            the lower to the higher. You are not looking at
            any particular thing - neither to yourself, nor
            to society, nor to the world, nor even to God
            Himself - but you have to look to all things at
            the same time, in different gradations or ascents,
            and you must know where you stand. You should
            not jump too high by thinking that you are on a
            higher level when you are actually on a lower.
            Generally we suffer and come in conflict on account
            of our theoretical imagining that we are on a
            higher level while practically we are on a lower
            one. That is called worry, mental tension, etc.
            Tension is the problem that is created by a
            theoretical future and a practical present.
            [laughs] So you should be very wise. You should
            not try to soar to the sky very quickly. When
            your feet are planted on earth, you must know that
            they are on the earth; you should not think you
            are in heaven.

            People say, "Oh! I am concerned only with
            God, spirituality and yoga." That is not true.
            This kind of statement will not work; and, it
            is not a fact. The fact is that you are in the
            world. When the wind blows, you feel cold; you
            have hunger, you have thirst, sleep... And there
            are many other considerations. So you must
            eschew the idea that you are thinking only
            of God. One must be realistic. Though the aim
            should be to transcend these lower limitations,
            you cannot ignore their presence when they are there.