Re: [Meditation Society of America] Siddhi Power or Fraud?

  • sean tremblay
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 29, 2010
      Uhhhhhh....I dunnno

      --- On Thu, 4/29/10, medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      From: medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Siddhi Power or Fraud?
      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, April 29, 2010, 1:04 PM

      From The Telegraph (UK)
      Man claims to have had no food or drink for 70 years

      Indian military scientists are studying an 82-year-old
      who claims he has not had any food or drink for 70 years.
      Prahlad Jani is being held in isolation in a hospital
      in Ahmedabad, Gurjarat, where he is being closely
      monitored by India's defence research organization,
      who believe he may have a genuine quality which could
      help save lives.

      He has now spent six days without food or water
      under strict observation and doctors say his body
      has not yet shown any adverse effects from hunger
      or dehydration.

      Mr Jani, who claims to have left home aged seven
      and lived as a wandering sadhu or holy man in
      Rajasthan, is regarded as a 'breatharian' who
      can live on a 'spiritual life-force' alone. He
      believes he is sustained by a goddess who pours
      an 'elixir' through a hole in his palate. His claims
      have been supported by an Indian doctor who specializes
      in studies of people who claim supernatural abilities,
      but he has also been dismissed by others as a
      "village fraud."

      India's Defence Research Development Organisation,
      whose scientists develop drone aircraft, intercontinental
      ballistic missiles and new types of bombs. They believe
      Mr Prahlad could teach them to help soldiers survive
      longer without food, or disaster victims to hang on
      until help arrives.

      "If his claims are verified, it will be a breakthrough
      in medical science," said Dr G Ilavazhagan, director
      of the Defence Institute of Physiology & Allied Sciences.
      "We will be able to help save human lives during
      natural disasters, high altitude, sea journeys and
      other natural and human extremities. We can educate
      people about the survival techniques in adverse
      conditions with little food and water or nothing at all."

      So far, Mr Prahlad appears to be standing up to
      scrutiny. He has not eaten or drunk any fluids in
      six days, and similarly has not passed urine or a stool
      in that time. He remains fit and healthy and shows
      no sign of lethargy. Doctors will continue observing
      him for 15 days in which time they would expect to
      see some muscle wastage, serious dehydration, weight
      loss,and fatigue followed by organ failure.

      It is common in India for Jains and Hindus to fast,
      sometimes for up to eight days, without any adverse
      affects, as part of their religious worship. Most humans
      cannot survive without food for 50 days. The longest
      hunger strike recorded is 74 days.

      According to Dr Sudhir Shah, who examined him in
      2003, he went without food or water for ten days in
      which urine appeared to be reabsorbed by his body
      after forming in his bladder. Doubts were expressed
      about his claim after his weight fell slightly at the
      end of the trial.

      This article is being shared for non-commercial
      purposes and thus is under the Fair Use Statutes.

    • sean tremblay
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 29, 2010
        I should say I believe in the possibility of such things, unfortunately I also believe there are more Fakers in the world than there are Fakirs!

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30, 2010
          In Autobiography of a Yogi, Yogananda also visited and interviewed such people living on air and sunlight and no food or water. I would think for the masses to do it is another matter as the masses mainly disbelieve this possible.

          Message 4 of 5 , May 1 8:12 AM
            I have read of this ability in many Yoga texts, including from credible sources like Swami Satyananda Saraswati. It is apparently done by stimulating the Lalana chakra with the tongue, so that Amrit is secreted. It needs the anchoring of the tongue to be cut and the tongue to be stretched by pulling it for many months, to enable it to reach the Lalana chakra at the back of the throat, as well as months of practice to do this right. Anyone interested can read about this in his book.

            I have never tried it and so cannot vouch that it can really be done by most folks.
            Thanks,

            Sanjiv