Zen Wisdom

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 8, 2010
      The successful person in the art of living
      makes little distinction between their work
      and their play, their labor and their leisure,
      their mind and their body, their education
      and their recreation, and their love and
      their religion. They hardly know which is
      which, they simply pursue their vision of
      excellence in whatever they do, leaving
      others to decide whether they are working
      or playing. To them the are always doing both.
      From a Zen Buddhist text seen on the
      Jerzee Devil (knifemaking) Forum
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5, 2010
        All starts from the Unconscious, all is in the
        Unconscious, and all sinks down into the Unconscious.
        There is no Buddhahood, hence no functioning of it.
        If a thought is awakened and any form of functioning
        is recognized, there is a discrimination, an
        attachment, a deviation from the path of the
        Unconscious. The master stands firmly in the Unconscious
        and refuses to be transferred to the plane of
        consciousness. This puzzles the novitiate monk.

        D. T. Suzuki

        This has been posted solely for non-commercial purposes,
        and thus is subject to the Fair Use statutes.
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2011
          Attention.

          This means that when we are practicing,
          we should always cut off thoughts and
          guard against their arising. As soon
          as a thought arises we destroy it through
          attention. As a patriarch stated,
          "Do not fear the arising of thoughts; only be
          concerned lest your awareness of them be tardy."
          A gatha says, "There is no need to search
          for truth; you need only put all views to rest."
          This is the method of extinguishing delusion
          through attention.

          Chinul (1205)
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 8, 2011
            Why practice quiet sitting?
            So you can really get a look
            At your original mind.
            You look at it coming, look at it going,
            And then you know you're the original person.
            This latter age has no deep faith,
            No one practices the
            Direct road to understanding.
            All they do is flap three inches of tongue
            And lose themselves in the muddle of the mind.

            - Gensei (1623-1668)
          • cris angel
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 8, 2011

              smiles frm N Thailnd

              Mbl sent

            • sandeep chatterjee
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 9, 2011
                A Master in grave soto voce.........explained to the gathering...

                "If you believe a Zen master speaks to make you understand........you  are mistaken .

                He speaks to totally confound you.......... so that  you give up in disgust and forsake understanding altogether.

                If you say, Ummon's staff isn't real, he'll hit you with it;

                if you say it exists, he will break it in two and throw it in the fire, and ask you to lean on its ashes."

                Came a voice from the audience..

                "I hope this wasn't Ummon's approach ......when propositioned for oral sex.

                Or was that why..... he was known to have a very funny walk."

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 9, 2011

                  Hah!

                  One never knows what wisdom you will impart in this forum, Sandeep.

                  Aideen

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
                    When an ordinary man attains knowledge, he is a sage;
                    when a sage attains understanding, he is an ordinary man.
                  • walto
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 14, 2011

                      > When an ordinary man attains knowledge, he is a sage;
                      > when a sage attains understanding, he is an ordinary man.

                      When a sage obtains ordinary men, he may become a guru.
                      When an ordinary man obtains sage, he may become a chef.

                      ;>}

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 19, 2011
                        The fundamental delusion of humanity is to
                        suppose that I am here and you are out there.

                        Yasutani Roshi

                        permission from the copyright owner.
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 14, 2011
                          "But the transformation of consciousness undertaken
                          in Taoism and Zen is more like the correction of
                          faulty perception or the curing of a disease. It is
                          not an acquisitive process of learning more and more
                          facts or greater and greater skills, but rather an
                          unlearning of wrong habits and opinions. As Lao-tzu
                          said, "The scholar gains every day, but the Taoist
                          loses every day."

                          Alan Wilson Watts, The Joyous Cosmology
                          permission from the copyright owner.
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 14, 2011
                            Soyen Shaku, the first Zen teacher to come
                            to America, said: 'My heart burns like fire
                            but my eyes are as cold as dead ashes.'

                            He made the following rules, which he practiced
                            every day of his life.

                            In the morning before dressing, light incense
                            and meditate. Retire at a regular hour.

                            Partake of food at regular intervals.
                            Eat with moderation and never to the point
                            of satisfaction.

                            Receive a guest with the same attitude you
                            have when alone. When alone, maintain the same
                            attitude you have in receiving guests.

                            Watch what you say, and whatever you say, practice it.
                            When an opportunity comes do not let it pass by,
                            yet always think twice before acting. Do not regret
                            the past. Look to the future.

                            Have the fearless attitude of a hero and the
                            loving heart of a child.

                            Upon retiring sleep as if you had entered your
                            last sleep. Upon awakening, leave your bed behind
                            you instantly as if you had cast away a pair of old shoes. ----------------------------------------------------------
                            permission from the copyright owner.