Re: [Meditation Society of America] Faithe's Comment on Farming and Meditation

  • sean tremblay
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 6, 2010
      Like it

      --- On Tue, 4/6/10, WestWindWood <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

      From: WestWindWood <westwindwood2003@...>
      Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Faithe's Comment on Farming and Meditation
      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 12:31 PM

      Meditation is a lot like farming. You have to have faith that if you make the effort to plant the seed that this is better than barren ground. First you have to get the ground ready, start fresh by plowing all the weeds under, try to live the best that you can by giving up bad behavior, remove weeds that suck away from the good growth that is to come. You also have to balance the fertilizer to get the best yield possible. Then you plant the seeds; you make the commitment to this kind of future. There are different kinds of good seed, you just have to look around at what you have to work with, your soil and climate, and find the path, the technique, that works best for you. And now there is the weather, you just have to trust the process and take whatever comes. Maybe you can say the weather is effortless because you have no control over it, but at any rate just offer up the problems that occur, weather, and accept what comes.  So you trust the weather, and because of you past karma what ever happens happens, but it will be a learning experience. You keep trying and eventually, if not this year, then next year, you come out and notice that your field has all this new growth and you suddenly see this wonderful vitality; however, now with enlightenment, the wonderment of this vital energy, the work begins. You have studied agriculture, you are not going by guess here, and you know that you have to get to work in earnest and weed that which takes away from the good plantings; also look for insects, like bad friends that take away from your good efforts. Eventually your notice with the harvest that life is getting better, that yes there were problems along the way, but those problems seem like some distant worry that no longer is of concern. Maybe you die and become reincarnated to new land or maybe you work really hard on this particular farm. You have become richer, but now you have to keep at it, do the cycle over and over and become better and better over time. Eventually you become one with the vitality that comes from working the land.

      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 6, 2010
        Faithe,

        Nice analogy. I started to
        perspire just reading it.

        I grew up on a farm and
        remember the weeding in the
        heat of summer and harvesting
        by hand as a lot of work. I
        also remember how delicious
        the fresh fruits and veggies
        tasted - just from the garden.

        Still, the seed, once planted,
        does grow effortlessly. Clearing
        the way and keeping it clear
        in order for the crop to reach
        its fullest potential (of
        enlightenment) is the work on
        our part, as you've so nicely
        stated.

        Meditating is much easier than
        weeding.

        Thanks.

        Jeff

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, WestWindWood <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

        > Meditation is a lot like farming. You have to have faith that if you make the effort to plant the seed that this is better than barren ground. First you have to get the ground ready, start fresh by plowing all the weeds under, try to live the best that you can by giving up bad behavior, remove weeds that suck away from the good growth that is to come. You also have to balance the fertilizer to get the best yield possible. Then you plant the seeds; you make the commitment to this kind of future. There are different kinds of good seed, you just have to look around at what you have to work with, your soil and climate, and find the path, the technique, that works best for you. And now there is the weather, you just have to trust the process and take whatever comes. Maybe you can say the weather is effortless because you have no control over it, but at any rate just offer up the problems that occur, weather, and accept what comes.  So you trust the weather,
        > and because of you past karma what ever happens happens, but it will be a learning experience. You keep trying and eventually, if not this year, then next year, you come out and notice that your field has all this new growth and you suddenly see this wonderful vitality; however, now with enlightenment, the wonderment of this vital energy, the work begins. You have studied agriculture, you are not going by guess here, and you know that you have to get to work in earnest and weed that which takes away from the good plantings; also look for insects, like bad friends that take away from your good efforts. Eventually your notice with the harvest that life is getting better, that yes there were problems along the way, but those problems seem like some distant worry that no longer is of concern. Maybe you die and become reincarnated to new land or maybe you work really hard on this particular farm. You have become richer, but now you have to keep at it, do the
        > cycle over and over and become better and better over time. Eventually you become one with the vitality that comes from working the land.

      • cosmic_yogi1
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 6, 2010
          Inquiring Faithe,

          I greet you with love and understanding.

          The Zen have asked--how can We truly understand verbally? If We go to
          the words of describing this or that, how can We truly know it?

          Bob has stated in previous correspondences that "You missed the point by
          being so literal".

          This brings to mind the infamous Zen Koan of 'Emptying your cup'.

          Paraphrasing-- Your cup is too full!--'You are full of your opinions and
          speculations. How can you know the Zen unless you empty your cup?'

          Regarding your problem with what i have offered, i recall several
          metaphores: Is a drop of water from the ocean still the ocean? Hot and
          Cold is still temperature. Yin and Yang is still the Dao.

          Great Masters, Saints and Avatars alike have said that 'We are all
          inexstricably bound and linked to the source'. Life has been the
          greates revealer of this truth. Hence, the 'connectedness to the ALL'.

          As i continue to awake and observe on this journey, in meditation is
          where i realize the 'connectedness to the ALL'. To 'remove' that idea
          from meditation, i believe, misses the point.

          In profound peace,

          ONE

          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "tarah513"
          <faithearden@...> wrote:

          > Dear Cosmic.
          >
          > Are you saying that you are "ONE" and that by your beingness along
          that
          > shows you represent unversality and are connected to the ALL?
          >
          > My problem with what you have offered is that saying their is a
          > "connectedness to the ALL" is quite different from being "ALL".
          >
          > Where this is leading is that in meditation, once the connectedness
          idea
          > is removed, what then can be realized?
          >
          > Faithe
          >

          > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "cosmic_yogi1"
          > hanifshekhem@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Yo Faithe,
          > > 'ONE' is a symbol representing the universality and connectedness to
          > the ALL.
          > >
          > > ONE
          > >

          > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "tarah513"
          > faithearden@ wrote:
          > > >

          > > > Hi Cosmic.
          > > >
          > > > What does your name "ONE" mean...or is there no meaning intended
          and
          > it
          > > > is just a label?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks in advance.
          > > >
          > > > Faithe
          > > >
          > > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "cosmic_yogi1"

          > medit8ionsociety

          > > > medit8ionsociety

          Let
          > me
          > > > tell
          > > > growing!
          > herbicides,

          > buy
          > > > some

          > > > "Unfortunately, there's been a delay. But - God

        • Bruce Morgen
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 6, 2010
            Dear Yogiji --

            There are no ideas per se in
            meditation. The meditative
            state is the perceptual tabula
            rasa upon which all that comes
            and goes or arises and dies is
            written, only to be erased and
            supplanted by still more
            aspects of the world of forms.

            By holding on to the the idea
            of Oneness, one is certainly
            filling the perceptual cup
            with yet another preconception
            -- remember, the Tao that can
            be spoken of (that is,
            expressed as an idea) is not
            the true Tao.

            Hiya, Faithe!

            Much love -- Bruce

            On 4/6/2010 6:16 PM, cosmic_yogi1 wrote:
            > Inquiring Faithe,
            >
            > I greet you with love and understanding.
            >
            > The Zen have asked--how can We truly understand verbally? If We go to
            > the words of describing this or that, how can We truly know it?
            >
            > Bob has stated in previous correspondences that "You missed the point by
            > being so literal".
            >
            > This brings to mind the infamous Zen Koan of 'Emptying your cup'.
            >
            > Paraphrasing-- Your cup is too full!--'You are full of your opinions and
            > speculations. How can you know the Zen unless you empty your cup?'
            >
            > Regarding your problem with what i have offered, i recall several
            > metaphores: Is a drop of water from the ocean still the ocean? Hot and
            > Cold is still temperature. Yin and Yang is still the Dao.
            >
            > Great Masters, Saints and Avatars alike have said that 'We are all
            > inexstricably bound and linked to the source'. Life has been the
            > greates revealer of this truth. Hence, the 'connectedness to the ALL'.
            >
            > As i continue to awake and observe on this journey, in meditation is
            > where i realize the 'connectedness to the ALL'. To 'remove' that idea
            > from meditation, i believe, misses the point.
            >
            > In profound peace,
            >
            > ONE
            >

            > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "tarah513"
            > <faithearden@...> wrote:
            >

            >> Dear Cosmic.
            >>
            >> Are you saying that you are "ONE" and that by your beingness along
            >>
            > that
            >
            >> shows you represent unversality and are connected to the ALL?
            >>
            >> My problem with what you have offered is that saying their is a
            >> "connectedness to the ALL" is quite different from being "ALL".
            >>
            >> Where this is leading is that in meditation, once the connectedness
            >>
            > idea
            >
            >> is removed, what then can be realized?
            >>
            >> Faithe
            >>

            >> --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "cosmic_yogi1"
            >> hanifshekhem@ wrote:
            >>
            >>> Yo Faithe,
            >>> 'ONE' is a symbol representing the universality and connectedness to
            >>>
            >> the ALL.
            >>
            >>> ONE
            >>>

            >>> --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "tarah513"

            > and
            >
            >> it

            >> medit8ionsociety

            > Let
            >
            >> me

            > the

            >> herbicides,

            > grow

            >> buy

          • cosmic_yogi1
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 6, 2010
              Yo Bruce,

              i stand corrected---All perceptions are illusion.

              Thank you for sharing

              much metta,

            • hanif sashekhem
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 6, 2010
                Peace and Love Bruce,

                i apprecilove your wisdom in respect towards Oneness, however i must ask you---is your understanding of the meditative state that you describe also an idea?
                It seems that We all suffer from the illusions of our perceptions:)

                ONE

              • Papajeff
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 7, 2010
                  Faithe,

                  Beyond "connectedness" is the
                  realization put so beautifully
                  by Ramana Maharshi:

                  "The very form of God if Love."

                  So it's One, in the matrix of Love.

                  If the realization or understanding
                  includes merely the connectness
                  or sense of Oneness...but not
                  the God (Love)-Realization, the
                  realization is not on the
                  level of the jnani yogi - there
                  is no Knowing.

                  Those who mistake the Oneness
                  for fully awakened tend to
                  be the one's who parrot the
                  half-baked teachings about,
                  "nothing to realize, everyone's
                  already enlightened, just get
                  on with your life"...pablum.

                  One Love,

                  Jeff

                  --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "tarah513" <faithearden@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Cosmic.
                  >
                  > Are you saying that you are "ONE" and that by your beingness along that
                  > shows you represent unversality and are connected to the ALL?
                  >
                  > My problem with what you have offered is that saying their is a
                  > "connectedness to the ALL" is quite different from being "ALL".
                  >
                  > Where this is leading is that in meditation, once the connectedness idea
                  > is removed, what then can be realized?
                  >
                  > Faithe
                  >

                  > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "cosmic_yogi1"
                  > <hanifshekhem@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Yo Faithe,
                  > > 'ONE' is a symbol representing the universality and connectedness to
                  > the ALL.
                  > >
                  > > ONE
                  > >

                  > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "tarah513"
                  > faithearden@ wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > Hi Cosmic.
                  > > >
                  > > > What does your name "ONE" mean...or is there no meaning intended and
                  > it
                  > > > is just a label?
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks in advance.
                  > > >
                  > > > Faithe
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "cosmic_yogi1"

                  > medit8ionsociety

                  > > > medit8ionsociety

                  > me
                  > > > tell
                  > > > growing!
                  > herbicides,

                  > buy
                  > > > some

                  > > > "Unfortunately, there's been a delay. But - God

                • cosmic_yogi1
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 7, 2010

                    Faithe,

                    As the drop of water is to the ocean-that is what Oneness is.  The essence of the drop is every bit the essence of the totality.

                    All that we hold dear to our hearts, the things our soul yearns for-we do not have to give it up through the act of awakening!  Of course not, we recieve it by awakening!  This is the whole point.  Waking from this dream does not mean everything disappears.  It means everthing appears as it really is.  Life then is seen as a unified Whole, as Oneness.  Oneness knows only ONE.  In Oneness the puzzle has been made whole.  In Oneness there is no more good or bad, desirable or undesirable.  It is absolute fulfilment, completion, bliss, whatever we may call it.  It is a state of being beyond hope, for all hope is fulfilled.  We can not even faintly begin to describe the indescribable.  It can only be experienced.

                    ONE