Nisargadatta Maharaj on Meditation

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4 2:12 PM
      Question: All teachers advise to meditate.
      What is the purpose of meditation?

      Maharaj: We know the outer world of sensations
      and actions. But of our inner world of thoughts
      and feelings we know very little. The primary
      purpose of meditation is to become conscious
      of, and familiar with, our inner life. The ultimate
      purpose is to reach the source of life and
      consciousness. Incidentally, practice of meditation
      affects deeply our character. We are slaves to
      what we do not know. Whatever vice or weakness
      in ourselves we discover and understand its causes
      and its workings, we overcome it by the very knowing;
      the unconscious dissolves when brought into the
      conscious. The dissolution of the unconscious
      release energy; the mind feels adequate and become
      quiet.
      FAIR USE NOTICE
      This site contains copyrighted material the
      use of which has not always been specifically
      authorized by the copyright owner. We are
      making such material available in our efforts
      to advance understanding of environmental,
      scientific, spiritual, and social justice issues,
      etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use'
      for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
      the material on this site is distributed
      without profit to those who have expressed a
      prior interest in receiving the included information
      for research and educational purposes. For more
      information go to:
      http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.
      site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use',
      you must obtain permission from the copyright owner