Swami Chidananda on St Francis's Prayer

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10 5:29 PM
      "Where there is sadness, let me bring
      joy." That is the sublime, noble prayer of Saint
      Francis. When we pray "May not sorrow fall
      to the lot of any one," then we should work in
      the way indicated by the simple prayer of St.
      Francis. "O Lord, where there is sadness, let
      me bring joy. Make me an instrument of joy to
      the lives of others. Make mean instrument of
      removing the sadness of others." Axiomati -
      cally it means that if we wish happiness for
      others, joy for others, then we have to do
      some thing positively to bring joy to others; we
      have to also, simultaneously, engage in doing
      acts that remove the sorrow of others, lessen
      the grief of others, make people less sad.
      This is implied in this line from the simple
      prayer of St. Francis.
      Apart from this, that such prayer is an in -
      dication of what we should work, live and act
      for, of what our great ancients have placed
      before us as an ideal for our life and the living
      of it, it also has still an other aspect. By con -
      stantly thinking in such a positive manner of
      the happiness, welfare and peace of others, it
      brings about a change in our nature. Gradu -
      ally we become so disposed to act in such a
      way, to live in such a way, that we become a
      center of good will towards others, a center of
      compassion and kindness towards others, a
      center of peace for others. The constant rep -
      etition of such prayer, the constant dwelling
      upon these thoughts, and the constant har -
      bouring of these feelings in our heart have a
      transforming effect upon our own nature. It
      tends to gradually make us grow in this qual -
      ity of good will towards all, of ill-will towards
      none, of compassion and kindness towards
      all, of prayer fully ever wanting to live in order
      to bring peace, solace, happiness and comfort
      to every one.