Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Mar 5, 2010
      Faith and Fear

      "Fear is not going to help us in any way.
      Fear makes the mind lose all its strength.
      Remember, even to have fear, you must have
      faith in your fear. You have faith in your
      fear, and that's why you are afraid. But you
      should know that fear is not going to bring
      you any benefit. Faith and fear don't go
      together. Either you have faith, or you have
      fear. You know that you are alive now. Why
      don't you enjoy the now, rather than worry
      about the future? Enjoy both getting and
      losing. So, if you know the ultimate truth,
      there's no reason to fear. Don't let that
      fear come near you at any time. Learn to live
      in the golden present.

      For more by and about Swami Satchidananda:
      http://yogaandpeace.org/
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda