Re: Being a Hypocrite/Having a genius

  • Papajeff
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 23, 2010
      Good job, Bob. Recently heard
      that genius was originally
      considered something someone
      "has" rather than what someone
      is...so, meditation brought
      you a genius for organizing
      and promoting meditation
      information at a place called
      The Meditation Station.
      Ego doesn't get the
      credit. Ergo, no hypocrite.

      > Well, after being on a recent "kill the ego"
      > posting trip, I now find that Google (at least
      > as of 8:57 this morning - these things change
      > often) rated our web site, Meditation Station
      > http://www.meditationsociety.com
      > as #1 in the world for Meditation. And as you can
      > see, here I'm boasting about it. Oh well!

    • westwindwood2003
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 23, 2010
        Bob, you have to also consider the nature of your intention. Your intention is certainly good and it is beneficial to have a blog where people can share thoughts and feelings about meditation. You also take all comers. I do not think you have censored anyone because your own ego thought what was being posted was improper. For instance we recently had a kick-up between several folks here about having compassion for others and things somehow got a little heated and some egos were involved I believe. However, as a group here, we would have lost something, the right to express who we are and perhaps later to stand back and the participants who had the contretemps could meditate about their behavior. With censorship it would be sterile and no growth would take place. Think of the Bhagavad Gita here, a war is taking place. Bob, at your own time and place on this Blog, you have a battlefield and it is right that it should be this way. And, you deserve your high ranking because with no censorship, there would be fewer messages and you would rank lower on Google.

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 23, 2010
          I wanted to elaborate on the "kill the ego" idea. Ego issues are specific to the person. My fate is based on my past karma, my past actions, and that has to frame my ongoing experience to live. I could say I do not know God's plan and just go with fate, but I do have free will in this enfolding life to go with God's suggestions about how I should work out karma. In the past lives and this one I did certain things and that has made me what I am, my personality. The situation I am in moment to moment comes into awareness with meditation. I can discern what that is and get answers on how to proceed. For instance, in the beginning when I first started meditating, I had a very strong feeling to be dominant with my wife. I did not even realize I had this propensity, but when I meditated, that's what came up out of my subconscious. Well my meditation told me to give way to my wife. I thought I was dying by inches doing this, but in the end this desire just evaporated because of the work I did on myself. By the way my first wife died and my second wife for a number of years was dominant with me, very stressful. I sure have some karma on this issue.

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 23, 2010
            Do not be afraid to go forth to do your spiritual work, as Arjuna was afraid in the beginning of the Bhagavad Gita, afraid that you will hurt others in the battle. Just let Krishna show you the way, meditating and then following right behavior from that wisdom found by offering up your problems to the light found therein.
          • Connie White
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 23, 2010
              Not ego, just the knowledge that what you put out there to teach those of us who do not have a resource about meditation (and those who do) the proper way to do things.  The ego actually belongs to the process, not the individual.

              Live well, laugh often, love long....every day

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 23, 2010
                There is the problem where one thinks they are guided by meditation, but it is really their own ego. If a person meditates and thinks they get an answer to a problem, but the answer is not consistent from session to session, then it is the ego. Also, the behavior to follow, derived from meditation, invariably makes a person grow spiritually and is difficult as it runs counter to the ego. I don't think this was what was bothering Arjuna, but maybe someone could correct me on that if my take runs counter to Hindu beliefs.