Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Effortless Effort

  • sandeep chatterjee
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 14, 2010

      sean tremblay <bethjams9@. ..> wrote:

      > A question about charity
      > Do we do it because some people need help or do we give because of it benefits us directly.  I think intention counts for something.

      Charity, as an action or a series of actions, whether in the domain of physicality or mentation....

      ....gets done, if it gets done......... precisely in the way, manner, form, shape, content...

      ....it gets done.

      That doing, which thought labels as "charity".....or "genocide"....

      ....is never an isolated event.

      The happening of the event(s) whether labeled as "charity" or "genocide"

      ......is an un-differentiated non-separated expression of the seamless totality....

      ....AS....... seamlessness  is...

      ... in that very moment of the eventing.

      Yes, the occurrence (without the connotation of a discrete  individuated happening) getting labeled as  "charity" or "genocide" is further accompanied by thought investing an intention to that occurrence, which as a consequence automatically invests in a sense of volition for the occurrence.

      With an invested sense of volition... the consequential sense of a question........ i.e.does the occurrence fulfill a need of an other, or a need of oneself etc etc.

      Labeling-->Volition--->Quest for purpose.

      The quest for the answer for the purpose, needs the bedrock assumption of separated, individuated volition.

      One cannot exist without the other.

      The entirety of the drama ...... as a play of thought.......

      .....not just the surrounding investments associated with an occurrence......

      .....but the very physical occurrence itself.

      .

    • sean tremblay
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 14, 2010
        I don't recall asking anything about genocide!

        > Do we do it because some people need help or do we give because of it benefits us directly.  I think intention counts for something.

        Charity, as an action or a series of actions, whether in the domain of physicality or mentation... .

        ....gets done, if it gets done........ . precisely in the way, manner, form, shape, content...

        ....it gets done.

        That doing, which thought labels as "charity"... ..or "genocide".. ..

        ....is never an isolated event.

        The happening of the event(s) whether labeled as "charity" or "genocide"

        ......is an un-differentiated non-separated expression of the seamless totality....

        ....AS...... . seamlessness  is...

        ... in that very moment of the eventing.

        Yes, the occurrence (without the connotation of a discrete  individuated happening) getting labeled as  "charity" or "genocide" is further accompanied by thought investing an intention to that occurrence, which as a consequence automatically invests in a sense of volition for the occurrence.

        With an invested sense of volition... the consequential sense of a question.... .... i.e.does the occurrence fulfill a need of an other, or a need of oneself etc etc.

        Labeling-->Volition--->Quest for purpose.

        The quest for the answer for the purpose, needs the bedrock assumption of separated, individuated volition.

        One cannot exist without the other.

        The entirety of the drama ...... as a play of thought..... ..

        .....not just the surrounding investments associated with an occurrence.. ....

        .....but the very physical occurrence itself.

        .

      • Papajeff
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 15, 2010
          Hi Sean,

          Hope you don't mind me
          jumping in here..

          I agree, Sandeep's reply
          was not responsive. He
          used your post as a platform
          for his often repeated
          but incomplete premise.

          Sandeep is making a point
          from his typical ivory
          tower of intellectual
          nonduality that the
          intention, whether well
          or ill is irrelevant,
          because there is no "doer"
          separate from what "Is".

          He fails to cross the
          mid-point from nondual
          realization of the absolute
          to the reintegration of
          relative reality in which
          we live and in which charity
          is "the more excellent way",
          and so uses absolute language
          as in a posture of enlightened
          wisdom, using what he considers
          impenetrable nondual 'logic'.

          If you re-read the original
          thread of Effortless Effort
          that Bob posted, you will
          see reference to this.

          How you doin'?

          Jeff

          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

          > I don't recall asking anything about genocide!

        • sean tremblay
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 15, 2010
            Thanks Jeff
            I'm fine but to be honest with you it was a bit rough comming back, shocking to my system really, and I think I was starting to "Go Native" over there like freaken T.E.Lawrence or something, any way things are smoothing out now

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 15, 2010
              It seems to me that some views on "non duality" seem to promote a sense of apathy in some, and apathy to my understanding is the opposite of compassion.  Ive traveled Asia far and wide and the one thing that stands out in my mind is the acceptance of human suffering a sort of shoulder shrug Ohhh well!  sorry that shit don't fly with this guy!  It is impossible for me to step past a fellow person in pain and do nothing!  I can't even walk past a homeless guy without digging through my pockets, it does not matter to me on bit how he ended up where he is in life, his Karma his thoughts or actions mental illness drug addiction I don't care suffering is suffering! wheeeew! glad I got that off my chest!
              Also in terms of charity I'm reminded of a quote from JC. about prayer and charity "don't pray like the hypocrites do" and it goes on about giving in secret so that one hand does not know what the other hand id doing, blah blah blah you can look it up.
              Sorry guys I realize this is not my personal sounding board but my hound dog is getting tired of hearing my ranting and so are my kids!
              Take care
              Sean

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 15, 2010

                Jeff,

                When some arrangements of pixels on a PC screen is not clear or not understood....

                ....ask and ye shall receive.:-)

                The pretense that one knows........is the mote in the eye.

                Papajeff wrote:

                Hi Sean,

                Hope you don't mind me
                jumping in here..

                I agree, Sandeep's reply
                was not responsive.

                The safety in numbers, eh?
                :-)

                He
                used your post as a platform
                for his often repeated
                but incomplete premise.

                For you Jeff it may appear incomplete.

                Which is perfectly fine.

                Sandeep is making a point
                from his typical ivory
                tower of intellectual
                nonduality that the
                intention, whether well
                or ill is irrelevant,
                because there is no "doer"
                separate from what "Is".

                "You-Jeff" have not understood.

                And "you" will never.

                For whom is the distinction between ivory-tower of intellectual non-duality and the charity to be done in the reality of the dirt of the gutter?

                Are not both the observations and the imagery of the observation both seemingly actual and connoted..... the content of thought?

                Who has taken delivery of that thought such that the thought(aka the sense of distinction) is of relevance?

                That is the key........not the what the content of thought is.

                You said intention is irrelevant, since there is no doer.

                It is irrelevant.......because intention being a mere thought(whether powerful or powerless).......does not stand in a separative individuated isolation.

                Each thought is an effect and each effect a cause for another effect.

                Instead of rushing to a key board to type out baloney(not doubt as divine as anything else)....

                ....take any intention , any thought........and unravel it.........to see whether there is any distinctive starting point and ending point.

                The irrelevancy of intention.........is to point that no intention can be isolated from anything else.....

                .....which thus points to that actions as an external physical actualization of thought , whether further labeled by thought as "charity" or "heinous", "good: or "bad".....

                .... the specific action or series of actions........themselves cannot be isolated from anything else.

                As said before..........don't rush to type Jeff .........sit quietly, not such actionless, but thoughtless(which is not the thought, now thought is absent) and see whether any aspect of the entirety of this, as a gestalt of phenomenality........

                .......whether dirty ivory towers or pristine gutters...........

                ........whether anything can be isolated.

                He fails to cross the
                mid-point from nondual
                realization of the absolute
                to the reintegration of
                relative reality in which
                we live and in which charity
                is "the more excellent way",
                and so uses absolute language
                as in a posture of enlightened
                wisdom, using what he considers
                impenetrable nondual 'logic'.

                LOL.

                What understanding, what conclusions!

                The baloney of re-integration into relative reality after the so called realization of the non-dual truth......has been much bandied about.

                Yes I know you need the concept of re-integration....... to sell your wares.

                First of all the so called realization of non-dual truth is more baloney of thought.

                The realization of non-dual truth, is the apperception, that the very premise of  something as a non-dual truth (and it's counter part aka the relative reality)....
                .....is once again the creative play of thought.

                The apperception of not-two........is the end of not-two.....not as some perspective changing into another perspective.....

                ....which then needs to be tested out in the harsh reality of relativness....

                ....but .....as the apperception......... that it was not that there was once upon a time "twoness" ..........and now due to some causal linkage

                .....that "twoness" is no longer true.

                The apperception of not-two....is the apperception that not-two was never not the case....

                ...and that which is never not-case........cannot be experienced, realized, understood, affirmed, promoted, promulgated .......in time.

                Thus the term apperception(which in its very coinage makes it just another term).........connoting that it is not a event in time, or happening to a person.

                In this state of apperception(to use a mere expression.........as such a state was never not the case, for it to happen in time and thus be referenceable).....

                ......what absolute truth, what relative reality?

                What re-integration .......when a disintegration is never the case?

                Awake today morning, sipping for a hot cup of tea....

                .....do you make a song and dance about wanting to re-integrate back to resolve the profound and profane issues
                which so much defined the reality of the drama of your last night-sleep dream?

                If there is the need to re-integrate with any aspect of the drama of the last night sleep-dream......has awakening happened (to use the language which you will understand).

                Now thought may well say..........to hell with awakening, I rather remain intoxicated by the drama of the dream(whether awake or asleep).......and be focussed on selling  my wares and pretend that in selling....... I am being charitable.

                That is perfectly fine.

                For irrespective of the content of thought....and irrespective of the bestowed label on the content of thought(which actually comes as a package deal)

                ....the nature of thought ......any thought remains .........fluff.

                Whether it is about absolute non-duality or relative hoopla.

                If you re-read the original
                thread of Effortless Effort
                that Bob posted, you will
                see reference to this.

                Now on the subject of charity......really what is meant by that term is empathy, whether in spirit or material.

                Charity, empathy......happens in the milieu of beingness where there is not an iota of the cognition of the act or the label bestowed on that act.

                Charity or empathy happens.......not as a causal effect of an intention, or urge.......but as a nuance of beingness of the milieu around ......whether of a sentient or non-sentient object.

                Charity or empathy(whether as a physical act or in a realm which thought cannot touch)........happens....

                ...when such a beingness engulfs all that comes in its' wake........and there is absolutely no cognition of the very engulfing.

                Charity or empathy has no space for the cognition and thus the naming of any distinctions.....

                ....and thus no space for thought games of integration, re-integration, dis-integartion, relative or absolute reality.

                As an allegory.......the sun does not nothing but shines, as it's very beingness.

                In the engulfing of that beingness...........it has no cognition of the charity or harm.

                And in that engulfing...........both life gets doled out and death gets doled out.

                Sustainence gets doled out, deprivation gets doled out.

                Notice the arising rage Jeff associated with the viewing of these pixels .........and instead of rushing to the key board to defend...

                ...be with that rage.

                And delve into.......who are you Jeff in the absence of a buyer of your wares.

                Whatever answer that arises and thus can be articulated............see it as a mere creativity of thought............drop the content of that thought....

                ...delve into ..........for whom was this latest answer .......an answer.

                No, no........no  key board Jeff.........just the meeting ...in complete nakedness.....

                .......the play of thought as happening in this very moment.........AS the very moment.

              • sean tremblay
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 15, 2010
                  Ask a simple question sheeesh!

                  When some arrangements of pixels on a PC screen is not clear or not understood.. ..

                  ....ask and ye shall receive.:-)

                  The pretense that one knows....... .is the mote in the eye.

                  Papajeff wrote:

                  Hi Sean,

                  Hope you don't mind me
                  jumping in here..