Effortless Effort

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 13, 2010
      Sometimes we hear that there is no need
      for meditation, acts of charity, devotion
      or prayer, and so on, because we are already
      enlightened. This is often accompanied by
      the suggestion that meditation and other
      type efforts are actually stumbling blocks
      to experiencing the bliss that is ever present.
      But when we look closely at who makes these
      kind of statements, it is often someone who
      is just parroting something they heard someone
      else, whom they consider Enlightened say, but
      they themselves are no further along on the
      path to enlightenment than anyone else. They
      have just heard the words, and as it is said
      "can talk the talk, but can't walk the walk".
      Or it may even come from an Enlightened being,
      but invariably, they have themselves meditated,
      done service, self-inquiry, and other types
      of efforts before attaining the state of
      effortlessness that Enlightenment is. Sri
      Swami Chidananda, the President of the Divine
      Light Society, has given us an illuminating
      illustration of the way to understand the
      need for effort:
      "It is as if a poor man is living over a
      treasure. One day a sage tells him that ten
      feet under the small plot of land where he is
      sitting, a treasure is buried. That means that
      the poor man is actually very wealthy. But
      until he digs down those ten feet, he is as
      poor a man as he ever was. Even if he digs
      9 feet 11 inches, he is still poor. It is only
      when he has dug the full ten feet and puts his
      hands on the treasure that he is wealthy beyond
      his fondest dreams."
      So, we should understand that you'll never get
      rich waiting for money to just place itself in
      your pockets, and making a great effort is an
      appropriate way to succeed. For some, the effort
      will be by meditating, for others, asking who
      is doing the shoveling, and for others, asking
      what exactly is the shovel. We all have our
      own hole to dig. And as the jazz lovers would
      say, "Can you dig it?"
    • sean tremblay
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 14, 2010
        A question about charity
        Do we do it because some people need help or do we give because of it benefits us directly.  I think intention counts for something

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 14, 2010
          sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

          > A question about charity
          > Do we do it because some people need help or do we give because of it benefits us directly.  I think intention counts for something

          Yo Sean
          In the Hindu tradition, there are only 3
          types of actions /energies (Gunas):
          Tamas – which is characterized such adverbs
          and adjectives as darkness, doing things by
          rote, evil, negativity, solely for ego reasons,
          dull, sluggish, inertia, stagnation, selfish, etc.
          Ragas – chasing after desires for greedy reasons,
          creativeness, passion, competitiveness, ambition,
          stimulation; much like Tamas but at least there
          is energetic activity.
          Sattva – peace, serenity, calm, selfless, compassionate,
          and if we say that Tamas is dark, Sattva is light.
          In our classes, dozens of times I gave this example:
          If a community decides to build a gymnasium for the
          neighborhood children so they have a safe place to
          play, all types of people may agree that this is
          a good thing to do. But they may have different
          reasons why they contribute to this project:
          The Tamasic person may give $1000 because his family
          always gave to similar causes.
          The Rajasic person may give $1000 but insist
          the gym is named after them.
          The Sattvic person would donate $1000 anonymously
          just because it helps a good thing to happen.
          So we can see that all the donations may be labeled
          acts of charity, but come from different motivating
          energies.
          The way to "use" the Gunas concept is to place our
          Self in the Witness position and when we see ourselves
          acting Tamasic or Rajasic, use the methods you have
          found to be successful to kick it up into Sattva.
          Meditation is excellent for Witnessing and as a tool of transformation of energies to Sattva.
          Thinking of the question of "where does Charity
          originate from", I'm reminded about a bit of wisdom
          that Sri Jody R once stated (that I think was never refuted):
          to paraphrase….
          "All the things we do are done to seek comfort".
          Similarly, I think it was Kir Li Molari who said:
          "The most selfish person is the most selfless person,
          because s/he knows that by being selfless you gain
          the greatest benefit."
          These and many similar ideas are well worth meditating about.
        • sean tremblay
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 14, 2010
            Thanks Bob!

            > Do we do it because some people need help or do we give because of it benefits us directly.  I think intention counts for something

            Yo Sean
            In the Hindu tradition, there are only 3 types
            of actions /energies (Gunas):
            Tamas – which is characterized such adverbs and
            adjectives as darkness, doing things by rote, evil,
            negativity, solely for ego reasons, dull, sluggish,
            inertia, stagnation, selfish, etc.
            Ragas – chasing after desires for greedy
            reasons, creativeness, passion, competitiveness,
            ambition, stimulation; much like Tamas but
            at least there is energetic activity.
            Sattva – peace, serenity, calm, selfless,
            compassionate, and if we say that Tamas is dark,
            Sattva is light.
            In our classes, dozens of times I gave this example:
            If a community decides to build a gymnasium for the
            neighborhood children so they have a safe place
            to play, all types of people may agree that this
            is a good thing to do. But they may have different
            reasons why they do contribute to this project:
            The Tamasic person may give $1000 because his
            family always gave to similar causes.
            The Rajasic person may give $1000 but insist
            the gym is named after them.
            The Sattvic person would donate $1000 anonymously
            just because It helps a good thing to happen.
            So we can see that all the donations may be labeled
            acts of charity, but come from different motivating energies.
            The way to "use" the Gunas concept is to place
            our Self in the Witness position and when we see
            ourselves acting Tamasic or Rajasic, use the
            methods you have found to be successful to kick it
            up into Sattva. Meditation is excellent for Witnessing
            and as a tool of transformation of energies to Sattva.
            Thinking of the question oh where does Charity
            originate from, I'm reminded about a bit of wisdom
            that Sri Jody R once stated:
            That I think was never refuted…… to paraphrase….
            "All the things we do are to done to seek comfort".
            Similarly, I think it was Kir Li Molari who said:
            "The most selfish person is the most selfless person,
            because s/he knows that be being selfless you the
            greatest benefit."
            These and many similar ideas are well worth meditating about.

          • sandeep chatterjee
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 14, 2010

              sean tremblay <bethjams9@. ..> wrote:

              > A question about charity
              > Do we do it because some people need help or do we give because of it benefits us directly.  I think intention counts for something.

              Charity, as an action or a series of actions, whether in the domain of physicality or mentation....

              ....gets done, if it gets done......... precisely in the way, manner, form, shape, content...

              ....it gets done.

              That doing, which thought labels as "charity".....or "genocide"....

              ....is never an isolated event.

              The happening of the event(s) whether labeled as "charity" or "genocide"

              ......is an un-differentiated non-separated expression of the seamless totality....

              ....AS....... seamlessness  is...

              ... in that very moment of the eventing.

              Yes, the occurrence (without the connotation of a discrete  individuated happening) getting labeled as  "charity" or "genocide" is further accompanied by thought investing an intention to that occurrence, which as a consequence automatically invests in a sense of volition for the occurrence.

              With an invested sense of volition... the consequential sense of a question........ i.e.does the occurrence fulfill a need of an other, or a need of oneself etc etc.

              Labeling-->Volition--->Quest for purpose.

              The quest for the answer for the purpose, needs the bedrock assumption of separated, individuated volition.

              One cannot exist without the other.

              The entirety of the drama ...... as a play of thought.......

              .....not just the surrounding investments associated with an occurrence......

              .....but the very physical occurrence itself.

              .

            • sean tremblay
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 14, 2010
                I don't recall asking anything about genocide!

                > Do we do it because some people need help or do we give because of it benefits us directly.  I think intention counts for something.

                Charity, as an action or a series of actions, whether in the domain of physicality or mentation... .

                ....gets done, if it gets done........ . precisely in the way, manner, form, shape, content...

                ....it gets done.

                That doing, which thought labels as "charity"... ..or "genocide".. ..

                ....is never an isolated event.

                The happening of the event(s) whether labeled as "charity" or "genocide"

                ......is an un-differentiated non-separated expression of the seamless totality....

                ....AS...... . seamlessness  is...

                ... in that very moment of the eventing.

                Yes, the occurrence (without the connotation of a discrete  individuated happening) getting labeled as  "charity" or "genocide" is further accompanied by thought investing an intention to that occurrence, which as a consequence automatically invests in a sense of volition for the occurrence.

                With an invested sense of volition... the consequential sense of a question.... .... i.e.does the occurrence fulfill a need of an other, or a need of oneself etc etc.

                Labeling-->Volition--->Quest for purpose.

                The quest for the answer for the purpose, needs the bedrock assumption of separated, individuated volition.

                One cannot exist without the other.

                The entirety of the drama ...... as a play of thought..... ..

                .....not just the surrounding investments associated with an occurrence.. ....

                .....but the very physical occurrence itself.

                .

              • Papajeff
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 15, 2010
                  Hi Sean,

                  Hope you don't mind me
                  jumping in here..

                  I agree, Sandeep's reply
                  was not responsive. He
                  used your post as a platform
                  for his often repeated
                  but incomplete premise.

                  Sandeep is making a point
                  from his typical ivory
                  tower of intellectual
                  nonduality that the
                  intention, whether well
                  or ill is irrelevant,
                  because there is no "doer"
                  separate from what "Is".

                  He fails to cross the
                  mid-point from nondual
                  realization of the absolute
                  to the reintegration of
                  relative reality in which
                  we live and in which charity
                  is "the more excellent way",
                  and so uses absolute language
                  as in a posture of enlightened
                  wisdom, using what he considers
                  impenetrable nondual 'logic'.

                  If you re-read the original
                  thread of Effortless Effort
                  that Bob posted, you will
                  see reference to this.

                  How you doin'?

                  Jeff

                  --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

                  > I don't recall asking anything about genocide!

                • sean tremblay
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 15, 2010
                    Thanks Jeff
                    I'm fine but to be honest with you it was a bit rough comming back, shocking to my system really, and I think I was starting to "Go Native" over there like freaken T.E.Lawrence or something, any way things are smoothing out now

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 15, 2010
                      It seems to me that some views on "non duality" seem to promote a sense of apathy in some, and apathy to my understanding is the opposite of compassion.  Ive traveled Asia far and wide and the one thing that stands out in my mind is the acceptance of human suffering a sort of shoulder shrug Ohhh well!  sorry that shit don't fly with this guy!  It is impossible for me to step past a fellow person in pain and do nothing!  I can't even walk past a homeless guy without digging through my pockets, it does not matter to me on bit how he ended up where he is in life, his Karma his thoughts or actions mental illness drug addiction I don't care suffering is suffering! wheeeew! glad I got that off my chest!
                      Also in terms of charity I'm reminded of a quote from JC. about prayer and charity "don't pray like the hypocrites do" and it goes on about giving in secret so that one hand does not know what the other hand id doing, blah blah blah you can look it up.
                      Sorry guys I realize this is not my personal sounding board but my hound dog is getting tired of hearing my ranting and so are my kids!
                      Take care
                      Sean

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 15, 2010

                        Jeff,

                        When some arrangements of pixels on a PC screen is not clear or not understood....

                        ....ask and ye shall receive.:-)

                        The pretense that one knows........is the mote in the eye.

                        Papajeff wrote:

                        Hi Sean,

                        Hope you don't mind me
                        jumping in here..

                        I agree, Sandeep's reply
                        was not responsive.

                        The safety in numbers, eh?
                        :-)

                        He
                        used your post as a platform
                        for his often repeated
                        but incomplete premise.

                        For you Jeff it may appear incomplete.

                        Which is perfectly fine.

                        Sandeep is making a point
                        from his typical ivory
                        tower of intellectual
                        nonduality that the
                        intention, whether well
                        or ill is irrelevant,
                        because there is no "doer"
                        separate from what "Is".

                        "You-Jeff" have not understood.

                        And "you" will never.

                        For whom is the distinction between ivory-tower of intellectual non-duality and the charity to be done in the reality of the dirt of the gutter?

                        Are not both the observations and the imagery of the observation both seemingly actual and connoted..... the content of thought?

                        Who has taken delivery of that thought such that the thought(aka the sense of distinction) is of relevance?

                        That is the key........not the what the content of thought is.

                        You said intention is irrelevant, since there is no doer.

                        It is irrelevant.......because intention being a mere thought(whether powerful or powerless).......does not stand in a separative individuated isolation.

                        Each thought is an effect and each effect a cause for another effect.

                        Instead of rushing to a key board to type out baloney(not doubt as divine as anything else)....

                        ....take any intention , any thought........and unravel it.........to see whether there is any distinctive starting point and ending point.

                        The irrelevancy of intention.........is to point that no intention can be isolated from anything else.....

                        .....which thus points to that actions as an external physical actualization of thought , whether further labeled by thought as "charity" or "heinous", "good: or "bad".....

                        .... the specific action or series of actions........themselves cannot be isolated from anything else.

                        As said before..........don't rush to type Jeff .........sit quietly, not such actionless, but thoughtless(which is not the thought, now thought is absent) and see whether any aspect of the entirety of this, as a gestalt of phenomenality........

                        .......whether dirty ivory towers or pristine gutters...........

                        ........whether anything can be isolated.

                        He fails to cross the
                        mid-point from nondual
                        realization of the absolute
                        to the reintegration of
                        relative reality in which
                        we live and in which charity
                        is "the more excellent way",
                        and so uses absolute language
                        as in a posture of enlightened
                        wisdom, using what he considers
                        impenetrable nondual 'logic'.

                        LOL.

                        What understanding, what conclusions!

                        The baloney of re-integration into relative reality after the so called realization of the non-dual truth......has been much bandied about.

                        Yes I know you need the concept of re-integration....... to sell your wares.

                        First of all the so called realization of non-dual truth is more baloney of thought.

                        The realization of non-dual truth, is the apperception, that the very premise of  something as a non-dual truth (and it's counter part aka the relative reality)....
                        .....is once again the creative play of thought.

                        The apperception of not-two........is the end of not-two.....not as some perspective changing into another perspective.....

                        ....which then needs to be tested out in the harsh reality of relativness....

                        ....but .....as the apperception......... that it was not that there was once upon a time "twoness" ..........and now due to some causal linkage

                        .....that "twoness" is no longer true.

                        The apperception of not-two....is the apperception that not-two was never not the case....

                        ...and that which is never not-case........cannot be experienced, realized, understood, affirmed, promoted, promulgated .......in time.

                        Thus the term apperception(which in its very coinage makes it just another term).........connoting that it is not a event in time, or happening to a person.

                        In this state of apperception(to use a mere expression.........as such a state was never not the case, for it to happen in time and thus be referenceable).....

                        ......what absolute truth, what relative reality?

                        What re-integration .......when a disintegration is never the case?

                        Awake today morning, sipping for a hot cup of tea....

                        .....do you make a song and dance about wanting to re-integrate back to resolve the profound and profane issues
                        which so much defined the reality of the drama of your last night-sleep dream?

                        If there is the need to re-integrate with any aspect of the drama of the last night sleep-dream......has awakening happened (to use the language which you will understand).

                        Now thought may well say..........to hell with awakening, I rather remain intoxicated by the drama of the dream(whether awake or asleep).......and be focussed on selling  my wares and pretend that in selling....... I am being charitable.

                        That is perfectly fine.

                        For irrespective of the content of thought....and irrespective of the bestowed label on the content of thought(which actually comes as a package deal)

                        ....the nature of thought ......any thought remains .........fluff.

                        Whether it is about absolute non-duality or relative hoopla.

                        If you re-read the original
                        thread of Effortless Effort
                        that Bob posted, you will
                        see reference to this.

                        Now on the subject of charity......really what is meant by that term is empathy, whether in spirit or material.

                        Charity, empathy......happens in the milieu of beingness where there is not an iota of the cognition of the act or the label bestowed on that act.

                        Charity or empathy happens.......not as a causal effect of an intention, or urge.......but as a nuance of beingness of the milieu around ......whether of a sentient or non-sentient object.

                        Charity or empathy(whether as a physical act or in a realm which thought cannot touch)........happens....

                        ...when such a beingness engulfs all that comes in its' wake........and there is absolutely no cognition of the very engulfing.

                        Charity or empathy has no space for the cognition and thus the naming of any distinctions.....

                        ....and thus no space for thought games of integration, re-integration, dis-integartion, relative or absolute reality.

                        As an allegory.......the sun does not nothing but shines, as it's very beingness.

                        In the engulfing of that beingness...........it has no cognition of the charity or harm.

                        And in that engulfing...........both life gets doled out and death gets doled out.

                        Sustainence gets doled out, deprivation gets doled out.

                        Notice the arising rage Jeff associated with the viewing of these pixels .........and instead of rushing to the key board to defend...

                        ...be with that rage.

                        And delve into.......who are you Jeff in the absence of a buyer of your wares.

                        Whatever answer that arises and thus can be articulated............see it as a mere creativity of thought............drop the content of that thought....

                        ...delve into ..........for whom was this latest answer .......an answer.

                        No, no........no  key board Jeff.........just the meeting ...in complete nakedness.....

                        .......the play of thought as happening in this very moment.........AS the very moment.

                      • sean tremblay
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 15, 2010
                          Ask a simple question sheeesh!

                          When some arrangements of pixels on a PC screen is not clear or not understood.. ..

                          ....ask and ye shall receive.:-)

                          The pretense that one knows....... .is the mote in the eye.

                          Papajeff wrote:

                          Hi Sean,

                          Hope you don't mind me
                          jumping in here..