Tibetan Buddhism Meditation

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2010
      Tibetan Buddhism speaks of two different types
      of meditation. One is Stabilizing and could be
      characterized by a type of "mindless" repetition
      of a word or phrase (mantra/japa) or by simply
      doing an action over and over like yantra (the
      continual gazing at an object IE: a picture or
      statue of a deity, the symbol for OM, a flame,
      etc.). The other type of meditation is Analytical.
      In this form, the practitioner doesn't simply
      repeat a word over and over or look at a picture
      repeatedly. The meditator would try to understand
      everything they know or everything that can be
      known about the object of their attention. As an
      example of the difference between a stabilizing
      and an analytical meditation, let's use the word
      peace. You could repeat peace, peace, peace, ad
      infinitum and eventually go deeper and deeper
      into a state of quietude that could be described
      as Peace. This is very nice but perhaps might not
      be fulfilling relative to an increase in
      understanding about peace. This is where analytical
      meditation might bring a benefit. The meditator
      who is trained in analytical methodology might
      also start by repeating the word peace, but once
      firmly concentrated on it would then proceed to
      analyzing everything they knew about peace. They
      might think about the things that bring them peace
      like swimming, or eating, or maybe holding a baby.
      They may also think about the things that make
      them lose their peace like their boss, or
      unfulfilled desires, or driving in heavy traffic.
      In theory, eventually, if they kept at it, they
      would connect everything in the universe, because
      everything is in some way connected with peace
      (Einstein's' theory of relativity – all things
      are relative to everything else). But what actually
      happens is that the object of your meditation
      starts to present itself to you and you can sit
      back in your minds-eye and simply witness your
      Higher Mind reveal every aspect of peace to you.
      Your inner Witness, who is your Real Self, is
      always receiving, knowing, and at one with everything
      and once we remove the false concept that we are
      different (a body, a mind, an emotion, even a
      separate soul) from it, we will know and be at
      one with everything. Our consciousness awakens to
      its real natural of infinite, eternal Peace, Love,
      Knowledge, and Bliss, and we live happily ever
      after. This is the state known as Contemplation.
      So, to summarize, you start by Concentrating, then
      Meditate by the analytical method, and then this
      segues into Contemplation. It is then when all the
      ???'s turn into !!!.The Tibetans Buddhists consider
      analytical meditation techniques to be superior
      to the stabilizing. For you, now, it may be possible
      that this may bring about the result you seek.