Anything Beyond The Universe? New Theory Changes Our Destiny

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2010
      By Robert Lanza, MD who is the author of "Biocentrism,"
      a new book that lays out his theory of everything.

      We think our destiny is to journey to Mars and
      beyond. Yet as we build our spacecraft, we're about
      to be broadsided - from a different direction - by
      the most explosive event in history.
      Sometime in the future science will be able to create
      realities that we can't even begin to imagine. As we
      evolve, we'll be able to construct other information
      systems that correspond to other realities, universes
      based on logic completely different from ours and not
      based on space and time.
      Immanuel Kant declared in 1781 that space and time
      were real, but only indeed as properties of the mind.
      These algorithms are not only the key to consciousness,
      but why space and time − indeed the properties of matter
      itself - are relative to the observer. But a new theory
      called biocentrism suggests that space and time may not
      be the only tools that can be used to construct reality.
      At present, our destiny is to live and die in the
      everyday world of up and down. But what if, for example,
      we changed the algorithms so that instead of time being
      linear, it was 3-dimensional like space? Consciousness
      would move through the multiverse. We'd be able to walk
      through time just like we walk through space. And
      after creeping along for 4 billion years, life would
      finally figure out how to escape from its corporeal
      cage. Our destiny would lie in realities that exist
      outside of the known physical universe.
      Even science fiction is struggling with the implications. In "Avatar," human consciousness is infused into blue
      aliens that inhabit a wondrous world. However, according
      to biocentrism, replicating human intelligence or
      consciousness will require the same kind of algorithms
      for employing time and space that we enjoy. Everything
      we experience is a whirl of information occurring in
      our heads. Time is simply the summation of spatial
      states - much like the frames in a film - occurring
      inside the mind. It's just our way of making sense of
      things. There's also a peculiar intangibility to space.
      We can't pick it up and bring it to the laboratory.
      Like time, space isn't an external object. It's part
      of the mental software that molds information into
      multidimensional objects.
      We take for granted how our mind puts everything
      together. When I woke up this morning, I was in the
      middle of a dream that seemed as real as everyday
      life. I remember looking out over a crowded port
      with people in the foreground. Further out, there
      were ships engaged in battle. And still further out
      to sea was a battleship with radar antenna going
      around. My mind had somehow created this spatio-temporal
      experience out of electrochemical information. I
      could even feel the pebbles under my feet, merging
      this 3D world with my 'inner' sensations. Life as we
      know it is defined by this spatial-temporal logic,
      which traps us in the universe with which we're
      familiar. Like my dream, the experimental results
      of quantum theory confirm that the properties of
      particles in the 'real' world are also observer-determined.
      Loren Eiseley once wrote: "While I was sitting
      one night with a poet friend watching a great opera
      performed in a tent under arc lights, the poet took
      my arm and pointed silently. Far up, blundering out
      of the night, a huge Cecropia moth swept past from
      light to light over the posturings of the actors.
      'He doesn't know,' my friend whispered excitedly.
      'He's passing through an alien universe brightly lit
      but invisible to him. He's in another play; he doesn't
      see us. He doesn't know. Maybe it's happening right
      now to us.'"
      Like the moth, we can't see beyond the footlights.
      The universe is just life's launching-pad. But it
      won't be rockets that take us the next step. The
      long-sought Theory of Everything was merely missing
      a component that was too close for us to have noticed.
      Some of the thrill that came with the announcement
      that the human genome had been mapped or the idea that
      we're close to understanding the Big Bang rests in our
      innate human desire for completeness and totality. But
      most of these comprehensive theories fail to take into
      account one crucial factor: We're creating them. It's
      the biological creature that fashions the stories, that
      makes the observations, and that gives names to things.
      And therein lies the great expanse of our oversight,
      that until now, science hasn't confronted the one thing
      that's at once most familiar and most mysterious -
      consciousness.
      Reality is simply an information system that
      involves our consciousness. Until we understand
      ourselves, we will continue to blunder from light
      to light, unable to discern the great play that
      blazes under the opera tent.
      This article was published on the Huffington Post
      web site and is being used in compliance with the Fair Use
      statutes and not for any commercial purposes.
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 11, 2010
        Comment received in an email from a very conscious
        (requesting anonymity) Meditation Society of America member:
        "As for the article, it seems to me the author is yearning
        for a way to control his human predicament. There is a lot of oversimplification and supposed understanding."