RE: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Childlike Lightness of Spirit

  • Aideen Mckenna
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2010

      Hi Sean,

      In one perfect paragraph, you just summed up everything I’ve been mulling over daily for the last few years.  Thank you.

      Joni Mitchell’s song about Woodstock : “We’ve got to get ourselves back to the Garden”.  Yes, & we mustn’t get attached to that (or any) outcome.  Sail past the angel with the flaming sword at the Garden’s gate, smiling innocently, because we know the gate’s wide open anyway.  We’re just going home, after all, & no angel can stop us as long as we aren’t dragging a shitload of baggage.

      “Just Do It” (Nike).

      Enjoy this perfect day!  A.

      From: Aideen Mckenna <aideenmck@telus. net>
      To: meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 11:24 PM

      I just finished reading Jill Bolte Taylor’s “My Stroke of Insight”.  If you don’t know of her, do please click on the link below.  At age 37, she had to re-build her personality from square one.  This brilliant PhD had to learn to speak, to walk, to count…everything, EVERYthing from infancy onward.  It took 8 years of very hard work. As the circuitry of her left brain began to come back into running order, she was able to recognize aspects of her pre-stroke personality (certain branches of circuitry) that she wanted to discontinue.  She made conscious decisions, saying “No” (literally) to meanness, pettiness, negativity that had once been hers.  Sean’s phrase “childlike lightness of spirit” kept coming into my mind as I read how she now delights in simple abilities such as “squishing the guts out of semi-frozen peas with my tongue against the roof of my mouth”.  Jill is no simpleton, she lectures on anatomy to medical students at Harvard.  But she found Nirvana in her right brain when the slow-motion stroke knocked out all the programming in her left brain, & she experiences reality differently now.  She’s grateful for the stroke.  Her she is:

      http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=UyyjU8fzEYU

      Aideen

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2010
        Thanks Aideen