Childlike Lightness of Spirit

  • Papajeff
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2010

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 2010

        > will roll in and bring
        > peace that passes (rational)
        > understanding and a joy
        > that is too marvelous
        > for words.
        >
        > One Marvelous Love,
        >
        > Jeff

        Yo Papajeff,
        Great Stuff! I just got back from spending
        lots of time with one of my 2 year old granddaughter2
        and her 3 week old little brother. Your words
        about "childlike delight" are right on! Being
        around them had me remember one time when
        Swami Satchidananda was asked "Who was your
        most influential teacher". Well, as he had spent
        several years with Sri Aurobindo, Ramana Maharshi,
        and Swami Sivananda, it was quite a surprise when
        his answer was "Children!" And thinking back, I
        never met an adult that more obviously demonstrated
        what you described as "...how wonderful it is it be
        alive and to be a field of joyful sensations." I hope
        we can all be in such "pure" moments now and ever-after.
      • Aideen Mckenna
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 7, 2010

          I just finished reading Jill Bolte Taylor’s “My Stroke of Insight”.  If you don’t know of her, do please click on the link below.  At age 37, she had to re-build her personality from square one.  This brilliant PhD had to learn to speak, to walk, to count…everything, EVERYthing from infancy onward.  It took 8 years of very hard work. As the circuitry of her left brain began to come back into running order, she was able to recognize aspects of her pre-stroke personality (certain branches of circuitry) that she wanted to discontinue.  She made conscious decisions, saying “No” (literally) to meanness, pettiness, negativity that had once been hers.  Sean’s phrase “childlike lightness of spirit” kept coming into my mind as I read how she now delights in simple abilities such as “squishing the guts out of semi-frozen peas with my tongue against the roof of my mouth”.  Jill is no simpleton, she lectures on anatomy to medical students at Harvard.  But she found Nirvana in her right brain when the slow-motion stroke knocked out all the programming in her left brain, & she experiences reality differently now.  She’s grateful for the stroke.  Her she is:

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyyjU8fzEYU

          Aideen

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2010
            Aideen,
            funny how things come full circle, I had heard that story before on the radio during a 3 hour drive through a snow storm.  They were discussing the nature of personality from mostly a biological point of view, I became so fascinated with the subject and it raised a lot of questions for me, it eventualy led me to the group.
            For that childlike lightness of being, I like to use the Garden of Eden as a metaphor, to represent the human being who is created perfect and brought into exisence in a perfect state The Garden/nonduality the child having nothing to compare anything to takes the world and everything in it as it is without imposing value judjments on it.  Over time we learn collect junk maybe just a little at a time but it builds on our spirit like a plaque.  We "Eat the fruit of the tree" and gain knowlege of good and evil/Duality, at that point life is toil we have to leave that state of being behind, constantly judging good and bad comparing everything against everything else and assigning value to it, but fortunatly there is a way back to the garden but it is not easy, because you have to stop and let go of all those things you have collected on the road of life. Its' scary and sometimes the desire to achieve "IT" whatever "IT" is can lead to self delusion.

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 8, 2010

              Hi Sean,

              In one perfect paragraph, you just summed up everything I’ve been mulling over daily for the last few years.  Thank you.

              Joni Mitchell’s song about Woodstock : “We’ve got to get ourselves back to the Garden”.  Yes, & we mustn’t get attached to that (or any) outcome.  Sail past the angel with the flaming sword at the Garden’s gate, smiling innocently, because we know the gate’s wide open anyway.  We’re just going home, after all, & no angel can stop us as long as we aren’t dragging a shitload of baggage.

              “Just Do It” (Nike).

              Enjoy this perfect day!  A.

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 8, 2010
                Thanks Aideen