Ahisma

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 25, 2010
      Buddhism: "Hurt not others in ways that you
      yourself would find hurtful." -- Udana-Varga, 5:18

      Christianity: "All things whatsoever ye would that
      men should do to you, do ye even so to them." --
      Jesus, in Matthew 7:12

      Confucianism: "Do not unto others what you would
      not have them do unto you." -- Analects 15:23

      Hinduism: "This is the sum of duty: do naught unto
      others which would cause you pain if done to you."
      -- Mahabharata 5:1517

      Judaism: "What is hateful to you, do not to your
      fellow man. That is the law: all the rest is
      commentary." -- Talmud, Shabbat 31a

      Islam: "No one of you is a believer until he
      desires for his brother that which he desires for
      himself." -- Sunnah
    • James
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 25, 2010
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Buddhism: "Hurt not others in ways that you
        > yourself would find hurtful." -- Udana-Varga, 5:18
        >
        > Christianity: "All things whatsoever ye would that
        > men should do to you, do ye even so to them." --
        > Jesus, in Matthew 7:12
        >
        > Confucianism: "Do not unto others what you would
        > not have them do unto you." -- Analects 15:23
        >
        > Hinduism: "This is the sum of duty: do naught unto
        > others which would cause you pain if done to you."
        > -- Mahabharata 5:1517
        >
        > Judaism: "What is hateful to you, do not to your
        > fellow man. That is the law: all the rest is
        > commentary." -- Talmud, Shabbat 31a
        >
        > Islam: "No one of you is a believer until he
        > desires for his brother that which he desires for
        > himself." -- Sunnah
        >what if the person says to you watch out you may get it back in other
        words he said that to me as if i was a threat to him , and he makes good
        on his words , how should i handle that, should i say to him watch out
        you dont get it in return.
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 26, 2010
          "James" <teechrlady@...> wrote:

          > <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Buddhism: "Hurt not others in ways that you
          > > yourself would find hurtful." -- Udana-Varga, 5:18
          > >
          > > Christianity: "All things whatsoever ye would that
          > > men should do to you, do ye even so to them." --
          > > Jesus, in Matthew 7:12
          > >
          > > Confucianism: "Do not unto others what you would
          > > not have them do unto you." -- Analects 15:23
          > >
          > > Hinduism: "This is the sum of duty: do naught unto
          > > others which would cause you pain if done to you."
          > > -- Mahabharata 5:1517
          > >
          > > Judaism: "What is hateful to you, do not to your
          > > fellow man. That is the law: all the rest is
          > > commentary." -- Talmud, Shabbat 31a
          > >
          > > Islam: "No one of you is a believer until he
          > > desires for his brother that which he desires for
          > > himself." -- Sunnah

          >what if the person says to you watch out you may get it back
          >in other words he said that to me as if i was a threat to him, > >and he makes good on his words
          >how should i handle that, should i say to him watch out
          >you dont get it in return.

          If I'm reading you correctly, you are asking if it's
          proper to make threats back to someone who threatens
          you. That's about 180 degrees away from the concept
          of Ahisma. If you don't like what someone is doing to you,
          don't do that to him. Swami Sivananda wrote over 350
          books and summed up all of his teachings in 4 words that
          very well sums up how we should act, and it is in a way
          that is totally at one with Ahisma.
          He said "Be good. Do good."
        • sean tremblay
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 26, 2010
            It sounds simple enough but takes effort to actually put into practice

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 26, 2010
              Yo Sean,
              I agree with you 100%...BUT...it's much harder to
              go through life without a workable game plan,
              and Ahimsa is a for-sure "No Bad Karma" methodology.
              It's well worth the investment to bring about as One's
              default setting, and meditation is the most effective
              game changer that leads to that position.

              sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

              > It sounds simple enough but takes effort to actually put into practice

            • sean tremblay
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 26, 2010
                 Very true...like any discipline you have to change the mind first, remember how awkward a proper boxing stance felt at first let alone stepping and moving in a ring, like any skill it gets easier and more natural with time....but I must say even saints like athletes  can back slide..let themselves go a little at first and eventualy you are back where you started but at least when that happens there is the memory as a guide. And some great road maps laid out by some very wise folks who came before us.

                I agree with you 100%...BUT.. .it's much harder to
                go through life without a workable game plan,
                and Ahimsa is a for-sure "No Bad Karma" methodology.
                It's well worth the investment to bring about as One's
                default setting, and meditation is the most effective
                game changer that leads to that position.

                sean tremblay <bethjams9@. ..> wrote:

                > It sounds simple enough but takes effort to actually put into practice

              • James
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 26, 2010
                  <bethjams9@...> wrote:

                  > Â Very true...like any discipline you have to change the mind
                  first, remember how awkward a proper boxing stance felt at first let
                  alone stepping and moving in a ring, like any skill it gets easier and
                  more natural with time....but I must say even saints like athletesÂ

                  thank you and all the other members .

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 24, 2011
                      FYI: We repeated this post secondary to a request
                      from a member in Norway. Acknowledging that judgments are
                      seemingly always questionable, apparently huge misunderstanding
                      there this weekend about appropriate humane actions.

                      "Be good. Do good." Swami Sivananda