Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Jan 17, 2010
      The Unlimited Source Within

      "You are not just a person whom we see with
      our eyes. There is an unlimited source within
      you, which you can unfold, little by little.
      The unfolding of the real you, or the Divine
      you, within the ordinary you is called Yoga.
      The potentiality, the divinity, is there,
      and you try to unfold it. It is in the seed
      form, so you nourish it: You put it in the
      proper soil, you pour water on it, you add
      fertilizer and, slowly, it starts sprouting
      its roots. Then, it develops into a nice plant
      and, ultimately, into a tree. After a while,
      it brings forth flowers and fruits. Human
      beings have a developed mind but we can still
      develop it much more.

      For more by and about Swami Satchidananda:
      http://yogaandpeace.org/
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda