Re: [Meditation Society of America] Cancer

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 16, 2010
      Yo Aideen,
      Interesting hope-giving, literally "real LIFE"
      sharing! Another thing that segues perfectly
      with the Cancer techniques is the use of affirmations.
      Louise Hay has been sharing these for decades and
      thousands of people have seemingly benefited. If I remember
      correctly, she had a terminal diagnosis and was
      only given months to live. 3 or 4 decades later has
      shown that her use of affirmations surely didn't
      hurt and in fact may be the singular factor in her
      ongoing good health. I think she also encourages
      using affirmations for "prosperity" that is directed
      towards acquiring riches materially, but I have no
      confidence that that will produce peace in one's life.
      I do know that good health is a very appropriate
      spiritual "good thing". "Bad" health can also be a
      good thing if we learn from it, but when one has
      gotten the message, it's time to move towards those
      things that don't distract us from being at peace. And
      in 3 decades of being an RN and 4 of sharing meditation
      concepts and techniques, I have yet to hear someone
      complain that "my good health is taking my peace away"!!!
      Thanks for sharing.

      "Aideen Mckenna" <aideenmck@...> wrote:

      > Many years ago, I knew of a man in my city who was diagnosed with an
      > inoperable cancerous brain tumour. The doctors told him that he had less
      > than 5 months to live, but recommended radiation treatment as well as
      > chemotherapy. He was given a date for the first radiation treatment but he
      > asked them to postpone it for a couple of days because he wanted time to
      > prepare. They thought he was crazy. He used those 2 days to visualize. He
      > also asked a lot of questions about how the chemotherapy worked & he applied
      > visualization techniques before, during & after those treatments too. This
      > was in the era of "Pacman" & Bill visualized chemo-Pacmen gobbling up the
      > cancer cells. The tumour had been growing rapidly, but tests showed that it
      > was beginning to shrink at a rate the medical types couldn't believe.
      > Eventually it was a mere pinpoint, all but gone.
      >
      > Throughout Bill's ordeal, he came in for much disrespect & ridicule in the
      > hospitals & doctors' offices. His relatives (whom I knew) considered him an
      > embarrassment to the family. Apparently no one believed that a person could
      > aid in his own healing - a sensible person was supposed to be a passive
      > recipient of the treatments, without wasting everyone's time with questions
      > & delays for "preparation". He lived with the tumour for a couple of
      > decades. It would begin to grow every so often, & Claude would rev up his
      > visualizations to shrink it again. Eventually, the doctors were less
      > inclined to make fun of him. When he died (of something else), it was a
      > peaceful, happy event, because he was prepared & accepting. I wish I'd
      > known him personally. He'd figured all this out for himself.
      >

      > _____

    • WestWindWood
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 16, 2010
        Five years ago I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I meditated about stressors in my life and found an issue, which was dealt with in my psyche ten days before surgery. I could palpate my abdomen and note the lump caused by the cancer. I worked at it. It got softer and shrank to half the original size in that ten day period. There was nothing in the lymph nodes and the pathology showed the cancer as not being aggressive, a punky cancer if you will.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 16, 2010
          WestWindWood <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

          > Five years ago I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I meditated about stressors in my life and found an issue, which was dealt with in my psyche ten days before surgery. I could palpate my abdomen and note the lump caused by the cancer. I worked at it. It got softer and shrank to half the original size in that ten day period. There was nothing in the lymph nodes and the pathology showed the cancer as not being aggressive, a punky cancer if you will.

          Excellent! I love this kind of thing! For a while I
          was the nursing supervisor of an oncology unit and got
          to see "up close and personal" the way that one's attitude
          enabled the patients, no matter their prognosis, to
          enjoy their lives....or to be miserable. The physical
          challenges of cancer treatment can make one's body suffer,
          but I saw the implementation of a meditative mode make that
          suffering much less emotionally and mentally draining. It
          also makes tolerating the physical onslaught of the cancer,
          as well as the reactions to the treatments, very much more
          endurable. With stess relief emotionally and mentally,
          the body has a greater quantity of energy available for
          healing. Nothing mystical - very medically appropriate.
          And yet it is very mystical. I say this using the meaning
          of mystical to relate to mystery, and I think it is a
          mystery that we all aren't taught meditative methods
          all through our educational voyage. I'm so glad that
          WestWindWood has found, and used, the incredabily useful
          and powerful inner tools that he has applied so
          beneficially. I hope we will soon see this knowledge
          known and effectively applied as a basic goal for what
          we make available to our children in all of our school
          systems. It is an excellent wisdom to acquire and one
          that will prove valuable throughout a lifetime, and
          sometimes a key to prolonging a healthy life.