RE: [Meditation Society of America] Cancer

  • WestWindWood
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 16, 2010
      About cancer and emotional factors, consider the book by Lawrence LeShan, You Can Fight For Your Life: Emotional Factors in the Treatment of Cancer. He was able to get complete cancer remissions in half of his terminal cancer patients. My understanding of his book is that the immune system of someone with cancer is compromised because of considerable stress from some situation. In his counseling sessions, LeShan promotes looks for what is going right in a person's life and builds on that. He also wrote How to Meditate: A Guide to Self-Discovery although he does not tie meditation to cancer. I believe this could be done by inspection of the feelings that come up while meditating and trying to resolve stress by determining alternative actions, or perhaps determining that things are not as bad as they seem.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 16, 2010
        Yo Aideen,
        Interesting hope-giving, literally "real LIFE"
        sharing! Another thing that segues perfectly
        with the Cancer techniques is the use of affirmations.
        Louise Hay has been sharing these for decades and
        thousands of people have seemingly benefited. If I remember
        correctly, she had a terminal diagnosis and was
        only given months to live. 3 or 4 decades later has
        shown that her use of affirmations surely didn't
        hurt and in fact may be the singular factor in her
        ongoing good health. I think she also encourages
        using affirmations for "prosperity" that is directed
        towards acquiring riches materially, but I have no
        confidence that that will produce peace in one's life.
        I do know that good health is a very appropriate
        spiritual "good thing". "Bad" health can also be a
        good thing if we learn from it, but when one has
        gotten the message, it's time to move towards those
        things that don't distract us from being at peace. And
        in 3 decades of being an RN and 4 of sharing meditation
        concepts and techniques, I have yet to hear someone
        complain that "my good health is taking my peace away"!!!
        Thanks for sharing.

      • WestWindWood
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 16, 2010
          Five years ago I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I meditated about stressors in my life and found an issue, which was dealt with in my psyche ten days before surgery. I could palpate my abdomen and note the lump caused by the cancer. I worked at it. It got softer and shrank to half the original size in that ten day period. There was nothing in the lymph nodes and the pathology showed the cancer as not being aggressive, a punky cancer if you will.
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 16, 2010
            WestWindWood <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

            > Five years ago I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I meditated about stressors in my life and found an issue, which was dealt with in my psyche ten days before surgery. I could palpate my abdomen and note the lump caused by the cancer. I worked at it. It got softer and shrank to half the original size in that ten day period. There was nothing in the lymph nodes and the pathology showed the cancer as not being aggressive, a punky cancer if you will.

            Excellent! I love this kind of thing! For a while I
            was the nursing supervisor of an oncology unit and got
            to see "up close and personal" the way that one's attitude
            enabled the patients, no matter their prognosis, to
            enjoy their lives....or to be miserable. The physical
            challenges of cancer treatment can make one's body suffer,
            but I saw the implementation of a meditative mode make that
            suffering much less emotionally and mentally draining. It
            also makes tolerating the physical onslaught of the cancer,
            as well as the reactions to the treatments, very much more
            endurable. With stess relief emotionally and mentally,
            the body has a greater quantity of energy available for
            healing. Nothing mystical - very medically appropriate.
            And yet it is very mystical. I say this using the meaning
            of mystical to relate to mystery, and I think it is a
            mystery that we all aren't taught meditative methods
            all through our educational voyage. I'm so glad that
            WestWindWood has found, and used, the incredabily useful
            and powerful inner tools that he has applied so
            beneficially. I hope we will soon see this knowledge
            known and effectively applied as a basic goal for what
            we make available to our children in all of our school
            systems. It is an excellent wisdom to acquire and one
            that will prove valuable throughout a lifetime, and
            sometimes a key to prolonging a healthy life.