RE: [Meditation Society of America] Cancer

  • Aideen Mckenna
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 15, 2010

      Many years ago, I knew of a man in my city who was diagnosed with an inoperable cancerous brain tumour.  The doctors told him that he had less than 5 months to live, but recommended radiation treatment as well as chemotherapy.  He was given a date for the first radiation treatment but he asked them to postpone it for a couple of days because he wanted time to prepare.  They thought he was crazy.  He used those 2 days to visualize.  He also asked a lot of questions about how the chemotherapy worked & he applied visualization techniques before, during & after those treatments too.  This was in the era of “Pacman” & Bill visualized chemo-Pacmen gobbling up the cancer cells.  The tumour had been growing rapidly, but tests showed that it was beginning to shrink at a rate the medical types couldn’t believe.  Eventually it was a mere pinpoint, all but gone.

      Throughout Bill’s ordeal, he came in for much disrespect & ridicule in the hospitals & doctors’ offices.  His relatives (whom I knew) considered him an embarrassment to the family.  Apparently no one believed that a person could aid in his own healing – a sensible person was supposed to be a passive recipient of the treatments, without wasting everyone’s time with questions & delays for “preparation”.  He lived with the tumour for a couple of decades.  It would begin to grow every so often, & Claude would rev up his visualizations to shrink it again. Eventually, the doctors were less inclined to make fun of him.  When he died (of something else), it was a peaceful, happy event, because he was prepared & accepting.  I wish I’d known him personally.  He’d figured all this out for himself.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 15, 2010

        I called the man by 2 names, I see.  He wasn’t “Bill” – he was “Claude”.  I was still protecting his embarrassed family, I guess, by giving him a pseudonym.  By now, they probably realize that Claude was onto something.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 16, 2010
          About cancer and emotional factors, consider the book by Lawrence LeShan, You Can Fight For Your Life: Emotional Factors in the Treatment of Cancer. He was able to get complete cancer remissions in half of his terminal cancer patients. My understanding of his book is that the immune system of someone with cancer is compromised because of considerable stress from some situation. In his counseling sessions, LeShan promotes looks for what is going right in a person's life and builds on that. He also wrote How to Meditate: A Guide to Self-Discovery although he does not tie meditation to cancer. I believe this could be done by inspection of the feelings that come up while meditating and trying to resolve stress by determining alternative actions, or perhaps determining that things are not as bad as they seem.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 16, 2010
            Yo Aideen,
            Interesting hope-giving, literally "real LIFE"
            sharing! Another thing that segues perfectly
            with the Cancer techniques is the use of affirmations.
            Louise Hay has been sharing these for decades and
            thousands of people have seemingly benefited. If I remember
            correctly, she had a terminal diagnosis and was
            only given months to live. 3 or 4 decades later has
            shown that her use of affirmations surely didn't
            hurt and in fact may be the singular factor in her
            ongoing good health. I think she also encourages
            using affirmations for "prosperity" that is directed
            towards acquiring riches materially, but I have no
            confidence that that will produce peace in one's life.
            I do know that good health is a very appropriate
            spiritual "good thing". "Bad" health can also be a
            good thing if we learn from it, but when one has
            gotten the message, it's time to move towards those
            things that don't distract us from being at peace. And
            in 3 decades of being an RN and 4 of sharing meditation
            concepts and techniques, I have yet to hear someone
            complain that "my good health is taking my peace away"!!!
            Thanks for sharing.

          • WestWindWood
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 16, 2010
              Five years ago I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I meditated about stressors in my life and found an issue, which was dealt with in my psyche ten days before surgery. I could palpate my abdomen and note the lump caused by the cancer. I worked at it. It got softer and shrank to half the original size in that ten day period. There was nothing in the lymph nodes and the pathology showed the cancer as not being aggressive, a punky cancer if you will.
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 16, 2010
                WestWindWood <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

                > Five years ago I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I meditated about stressors in my life and found an issue, which was dealt with in my psyche ten days before surgery. I could palpate my abdomen and note the lump caused by the cancer. I worked at it. It got softer and shrank to half the original size in that ten day period. There was nothing in the lymph nodes and the pathology showed the cancer as not being aggressive, a punky cancer if you will.

                Excellent! I love this kind of thing! For a while I
                was the nursing supervisor of an oncology unit and got
                to see "up close and personal" the way that one's attitude
                enabled the patients, no matter their prognosis, to
                enjoy their lives....or to be miserable. The physical
                challenges of cancer treatment can make one's body suffer,
                but I saw the implementation of a meditative mode make that
                suffering much less emotionally and mentally draining. It
                also makes tolerating the physical onslaught of the cancer,
                as well as the reactions to the treatments, very much more
                endurable. With stess relief emotionally and mentally,
                the body has a greater quantity of energy available for
                healing. Nothing mystical - very medically appropriate.
                And yet it is very mystical. I say this using the meaning
                of mystical to relate to mystery, and I think it is a
                mystery that we all aren't taught meditative methods
                all through our educational voyage. I'm so glad that
                WestWindWood has found, and used, the incredabily useful
                and powerful inner tools that he has applied so
                beneficially. I hope we will soon see this knowledge
                known and effectively applied as a basic goal for what
                we make available to our children in all of our school
                systems. It is an excellent wisdom to acquire and one
                that will prove valuable throughout a lifetime, and
                sometimes a key to prolonging a healthy life.