Cancer

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 15, 2010
      Cancer is a wonderful equal opportunity
      provider. There may be no more powerful
      facts of life teacher. The choices of how
      to respond to it physically are usually between
      surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy. The
      beneficial effect these have can be hampered
      by the stress of worry, fear, obsessive thoughts,
      and energy squandered in negativity. Medical
      science has produced a large body of work that
      proves that it is most advantageous to cease
      doing those things that continue to cause stress
      and begin doing those things that promote the
      optimum functioning of the immune and healing
      systems. Changing to a healthy diet, exercising,
      and other "alternate healing" methods are gaining
      respectability in the orthodox medical community,
      but none more than meditation. This ancient
      practice has been shown to be a tremendous tool
      for healing. There is no better way to undo the
      negative reactions on the body, mind, and emotions
      that are produced by the adrenaline release fear,
      anger, and worry invariably precipitate. The
      endorphin release that comes with meditation
      properly primes the mind and emotions in a way
      that will let the body do its healing most
      advantageously. With that in mind, the following
      technique is offered in the hope that it will set
      the stage for a complete cure. It is aimed at
      those warriors blessed with the chance to do
      battle against this terrible dragon armed with
      the weaponry of either surgery, radiation,
      chemotherapy, or some combination of them.

      Position yourself in whatever posture you have
      found most condusive to concentration. Think
      about each of the procedures that you will be
      going through in as great detail as you can.
      Visualize them relative to the maximum benefit
      they will bring you.

      In your minds eye, see the surgical procedure
      removing 100% of the cancerous tissue. See healthy
      cells growing and repairing the area. See yourself
      whole and healthy.

      Visualize radiation passing through your body,
      frying any cancerous or precancerous cells. See
      new healthy cells evolve and multiply. See yourself
      whole and healthy.

      See chemotherapy molecules traveling through
      your bloodstream attacking and killing all the
      aberrant cells. See healthy cells swarming to
      the affected area and bring healing. See yourself
      whole and healthy.

      As well as visualizing the physical healing
      processes, feel your self-love and deep inner
      desire for good health fill and heal you emotionally
      and mentally. This effort will stimulate and
      allow your immune system to do its job unimpeded
      by the damage that unchecked negativity brings.

      Most of all, know your Self to be the unchangeable,
      eternal universal divine consciousness that is
      transcendent of your body, mind, or emotions,
      and live happily ever after.
    • Aideen Mckenna
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 15, 2010

        Many years ago, I knew of a man in my city who was diagnosed with an inoperable cancerous brain tumour.  The doctors told him that he had less than 5 months to live, but recommended radiation treatment as well as chemotherapy.  He was given a date for the first radiation treatment but he asked them to postpone it for a couple of days because he wanted time to prepare.  They thought he was crazy.  He used those 2 days to visualize.  He also asked a lot of questions about how the chemotherapy worked & he applied visualization techniques before, during & after those treatments too.  This was in the era of “Pacman” & Bill visualized chemo-Pacmen gobbling up the cancer cells.  The tumour had been growing rapidly, but tests showed that it was beginning to shrink at a rate the medical types couldn’t believe.  Eventually it was a mere pinpoint, all but gone.

        Throughout Bill’s ordeal, he came in for much disrespect & ridicule in the hospitals & doctors’ offices.  His relatives (whom I knew) considered him an embarrassment to the family.  Apparently no one believed that a person could aid in his own healing – a sensible person was supposed to be a passive recipient of the treatments, without wasting everyone’s time with questions & delays for “preparation”.  He lived with the tumour for a couple of decades.  It would begin to grow every so often, & Claude would rev up his visualizations to shrink it again. Eventually, the doctors were less inclined to make fun of him.  When he died (of something else), it was a peaceful, happy event, because he was prepared & accepting.  I wish I’d known him personally.  He’d figured all this out for himself.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 15, 2010

          I called the man by 2 names, I see.  He wasn’t “Bill” – he was “Claude”.  I was still protecting his embarrassed family, I guess, by giving him a pseudonym.  By now, they probably realize that Claude was onto something.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 16, 2010
            About cancer and emotional factors, consider the book by Lawrence LeShan, You Can Fight For Your Life: Emotional Factors in the Treatment of Cancer. He was able to get complete cancer remissions in half of his terminal cancer patients. My understanding of his book is that the immune system of someone with cancer is compromised because of considerable stress from some situation. In his counseling sessions, LeShan promotes looks for what is going right in a person's life and builds on that. He also wrote How to Meditate: A Guide to Self-Discovery although he does not tie meditation to cancer. I believe this could be done by inspection of the feelings that come up while meditating and trying to resolve stress by determining alternative actions, or perhaps determining that things are not as bad as they seem.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 16, 2010
              Yo Aideen,
              Interesting hope-giving, literally "real LIFE"
              sharing! Another thing that segues perfectly
              with the Cancer techniques is the use of affirmations.
              Louise Hay has been sharing these for decades and
              thousands of people have seemingly benefited. If I remember
              correctly, she had a terminal diagnosis and was
              only given months to live. 3 or 4 decades later has
              shown that her use of affirmations surely didn't
              hurt and in fact may be the singular factor in her
              ongoing good health. I think she also encourages
              using affirmations for "prosperity" that is directed
              towards acquiring riches materially, but I have no
              confidence that that will produce peace in one's life.
              I do know that good health is a very appropriate
              spiritual "good thing". "Bad" health can also be a
              good thing if we learn from it, but when one has
              gotten the message, it's time to move towards those
              things that don't distract us from being at peace. And
              in 3 decades of being an RN and 4 of sharing meditation
              concepts and techniques, I have yet to hear someone
              complain that "my good health is taking my peace away"!!!
              Thanks for sharing.

            • WestWindWood
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 16, 2010
                Five years ago I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I meditated about stressors in my life and found an issue, which was dealt with in my psyche ten days before surgery. I could palpate my abdomen and note the lump caused by the cancer. I worked at it. It got softer and shrank to half the original size in that ten day period. There was nothing in the lymph nodes and the pathology showed the cancer as not being aggressive, a punky cancer if you will.
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 16, 2010
                  WestWindWood <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

                  > Five years ago I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I meditated about stressors in my life and found an issue, which was dealt with in my psyche ten days before surgery. I could palpate my abdomen and note the lump caused by the cancer. I worked at it. It got softer and shrank to half the original size in that ten day period. There was nothing in the lymph nodes and the pathology showed the cancer as not being aggressive, a punky cancer if you will.

                  Excellent! I love this kind of thing! For a while I
                  was the nursing supervisor of an oncology unit and got
                  to see "up close and personal" the way that one's attitude
                  enabled the patients, no matter their prognosis, to
                  enjoy their lives....or to be miserable. The physical
                  challenges of cancer treatment can make one's body suffer,
                  but I saw the implementation of a meditative mode make that
                  suffering much less emotionally and mentally draining. It
                  also makes tolerating the physical onslaught of the cancer,
                  as well as the reactions to the treatments, very much more
                  endurable. With stess relief emotionally and mentally,
                  the body has a greater quantity of energy available for
                  healing. Nothing mystical - very medically appropriate.
                  And yet it is very mystical. I say this using the meaning
                  of mystical to relate to mystery, and I think it is a
                  mystery that we all aren't taught meditative methods
                  all through our educational voyage. I'm so glad that
                  WestWindWood has found, and used, the incredabily useful
                  and powerful inner tools that he has applied so
                  beneficially. I hope we will soon see this knowledge
                  known and effectively applied as a basic goal for what
                  we make available to our children in all of our school
                  systems. It is an excellent wisdom to acquire and one
                  that will prove valuable throughout a lifetime, and
                  sometimes a key to prolonging a healthy life.