Re: [Meditation Society of America] The Ten Teachings Shared by All Religions...By God

  • sean tremblay
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2010
      Thank you

      --- On Fri, 1/8/10, medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      From: medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [Meditation Society of America] The Ten Teachings Shared by All Religions...By God
      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, January 8, 2010, 9:02 PM

      This was requested to be reprinted here. It was in our
      newsletter, The Inner Traveler issue #8. Enjoy!
      The Ten Teachings Shared by All Religions
      By God

      One God
      "The Lord is our God, The Lord is One" -
      Shema, Hebrew Prayer
      "Allah is One" - Koran, 112:1
      "The One is Lord of all the moves" -
      Rig Veda III.54.8 (Hinduism)
      "There is only One God." -Chief Seattle
      2. God is Everywhere
      "I fill the Heaven and the Earth." - the Bible, Jer 23:24
      "The whole world is Brahman." - the Upanishads (Hinduism)
      "How majestic is your presence in all the earth!"
      the Bible, Psalm 8
      "We think of Tirawa (God) as in everything"
      Lenape Indian interview
      3. God is Light
      "God is Light, and in Him is no darkness at all." -
      the Bible 1John 1:5
      "All things appear, illumined by Brahman's Light." -
      the Upanishads
      "Allah's light illumines all Heaven and Earth." -
      Koran 24:35
      4. The Existence of the Soul
      "Fear not them which are able to kill the body but
      not able to kill the soul" Bible, Matthew 10:20
      "A soul will not die" Koran 3:145
      "For the soul there is never birth nor death. It is
      not slain when the body is slain" Bhagavad Gita
      "And it came to pass, as her soul was departing,
      (for she died)" Bible, Genesis 35:18
      5. God is Inside of Us
      "We know that He dwell in us because he has given
      us of his Spirit." Bible 1 John 13
      "God dwelleth in all hearts" - Bhagavad Gita
      "The One God is hidden in all living things" -
      the Upanishads
      "All animals have power because the Great Spirit
      dwells in all of them" Lame Deer, Sioux Chief
      "The Kingdom of God is within you." - Jesus
      "He to whom you pray is nearer than the neck of your camel." - Mohammed
      6. Spiritual Knowledge is Obtainable
      "Take heed of the Living One while you are alive,
      lest you die and seek to see Him, and be unable to do
      so." - Jesus, Gospel of Thomas
      "All who dwell on earth may find you" -
      Jewish Prayer Book
      "True knowledge can only be attained by a human being." -
      "Seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave" - Mohammed
      "The sage who is intent on yoga comes to Brahman
      without long delay" Bhagavad Gita
      "Search with sincerity and in the end you will
      find the truth." Buddha
      "If thou seekest hidden treasures, thou shall find
      the knowledge of God" Bible, Proverbs
      7. God's Name: "I AM"
      Although all religions have different native languages,
      most contain similar teachings about God's name.
      Many of them tell us that God's name can't actually
      be pronounced, or that giving God a name is like
      putting a limit on something that is limitless.
      As well, many of the religions have several names for God.
      One name that the religions share is the phrase "I AM."
      This is shown in Exodus 3:14 and John 8:58 of
      the Bible, and in the Shatapatha Brahmana of the Hindu faith.
      The sacred word soham for Hindus is
      translated as "I am that I am," the exact same
      phrase as in Exodus 3:14.
      8. Compassion and Respect for Everyone
      "All beings long for happiness. Therefore extend
      thy compassion to all. He who wishes his own
      happiness, let him cultivate goodwill towards all the world"
      - Buddha
      "Love your enemies. Bless them that curse you. For if
      you love only those that love you, what reward have ye?"
      - Jesus
      "Judge everybody favorably" - the Talmud (Jewish sacred book)
      9. Morals: Don't Lie, Steal, Commit Adultery, Covet
      The Ten Commandments, the Ten Precepts of the Buddha,
      and verse 16:1 of the Bhagavad-gita all clearly
      state these moralistic teachings.
      10. All of Humanity is United
      "God hath made of one blood all nations that dwell
      upon the face of the Earth" -Bible, Acts 17:16
      "All creatures are members of the one family of God" - Mohammed
      "Human beings, all, are as head, arms, trunk,
      and legs unto one another" The Vedas
      "One thing we know. All men are brothers" - Chief Seattle
      "All people are your children, whatever their belief,
      whatever their shade of skin" Jewish prayer book
      Arranged by Gary L. Beckwith, author of "The Message That Comes From Everywhere: Exploring the Common
      Core of the World's Religions and Modern Science". See www.theharmonyinsti tute.org for more information.
      This site contains copyrighted material the
      use of which has not always been specifically
      authorized by the copyright owner. We are
      making such material available in our efforts
      to advance understanding of environmental,
      scientific, spiritual, and social justice issues,
      etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use'
      for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
      the material on this site is distributed
      without profit to those who have expressed a
      prior interest in receiving the included information
      for research and educational purposes. For more
      information go to:
      http://www.law. cornell.edu/ uscode/17/ 107.shtml.
      site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use',
      you must obtain permission from the copyright owner