Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 197 , Dec 12, 2009
      Finding Eternal Happiness
      "The goal of human life is to find eternal
      happiness and supreme peace. Invariably,
      everyone is seeking to have this permanent
      joy. All the great sages, saints and prophets
      who have realized this peace and joy have
      told us that the moment you keep your mind
      calm and serene, you can enjoy supreme happiness.
      Our effort in the name of religion, Yoga or
      any spiritual practice should be toward achieving
      this peace and calmness of mind. A restless mind
      is an impure mind; an impure mind is a restless
      mind. If we could keep the mind clean, it will
      find its calmness. `Cleanliness is next to
      Godliness.' Why? Because only a clean mind can
      be calm, and only a calm mind can reveal true happiness.

      For more by and about Swami Satchidananda:
      http://www.YogaAndPeace.org
      Message 197 of 197 , Today at 6:01 AM

        NOTHING LESS THAN THAT

        Just be happy, have fun, enjoy life and don't get caught. When I say, "don't get caught," I am not talking about someone else catching you. I am talking about your own mind. Choose the kind of fun that won't bind you. If a certain kind of fun will bring you unhappiness later on, then it's not fun at all. Our goal is unending joy.

        Sometimes people think that to be a spiritual seeker or a good, religious person means being always very serious. They think that such a person can't have fun, can't laugh. That is no kind of life. Life means being always joyful, always happy, jubilant. Every minute should be a celebration. Every minute should be a festivity. That is possible only if you keep your mind in good shape and don't allow it to get into mischief.

        Be conscious of all your actions. Before you do anything, question yourself: "What am I doing it for? To be happy, to have fun. Okay, will it be fun always or will it only be fun for a little while and then start creating problems? Will anyone be hurt by it? How long can I be happy? Will there be an end? What is the price I have to pay?" After all this analysis, if your answer is, "Yes. I will always be happy. It will never bind or bother me," then go ahead.

        Remember, our intention is to enjoy life, to be happy always-nothing less than that.

        Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi