Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Dec 5, 2009
      When You Lose Yourself, You Will Gain More

      "When you lose yourself, you don't lose anything;
      in fact, you will gain more. When you really detach
      yourself, you become a nice channel, a good
      instrument. So many good things might happen
      through you, if you become desireless, detached,
      and ever ready to serve, because it's only personal
      desire that thickens the ego. I always say that,
      if you want to know how heavy your ego is, take a
      large sheet of paper and a pencil and write down
      everything that you call your own: my wife, my
      children, my body, my intellect. If you have nothing
      to write as your own, then you are light, completely
      weightless; you can lift up and fly. It is the weight
      of that 'mine' that binds you, pins you to the ground.

      For more by and about Swami Satchidananda:
      http://yogaandpeace.org/
      New web site where Swami answers questions:
      http://asktheswami.com/
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda